Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's far too early for me to have a solid opinion, with so little information. But the fact that they are doing this, is a good indication that they too, are unhappy with Lion.

Obviously they must believe the better solution is a major revision, instead of minor upgrades. An attitude like this encourages me to believe they are doing the right thing.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Looks promising, however i need to get my hands on it and test it for longer periods of time in order to get a solid opinion on it.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
same here. mission control is literally the only reason i havent upgraded to lion, and now it looks like ill just be skipping straight to mountain lion, only if they changed mission control.

Yes. I hope that fix Mission Control and add a "Don't Save" menu and keyboard shortcut to Versions.

Gatekeeper looks like a good compromise between security and flexibility. Hopefully things don't become horribly locked down 10-20 years from now.

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
And one more thing? Siriously...

stil missing IBOOKS

Yep, I REALLY want iBooks on my mac too. And the other obvious missing feature in the iOS-isfication of OS X is Siri. That with a few well produced commercials would be a huge inspiration for average people who use PCs but aren't geeks to switch.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yes. I hope that fix Mission Control and add a "Don't Save" menu and keyboard shortcut to Versions.

Gatekeeper looks like a good compromise between security and flexibility. Hopefully things don't become horribly locked down 10-20 years from now.

"Don't Save" shortcut = Cmd-Delete.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Do the existing version of Pages work with the new Docs in the Cloud, or will we be seeing a summer update for iWork as well?

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

rumors-reader

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
I'm on lion and I'm fairly happy with it, though I'm not sure what to make ML at this point. Seems like they haven't even addressed the bugs in Lion and we're getting a new OS.

Still its too early to really formulate an opinion given that its barely out to developers never mind users.

Apple appears to have adopted a 2 cycle approach to the OS updates.

Every 2 years, a major release (Leopard & Lion), in between, a minor update which optimizes and addresses many customer concerns. In my opinion, Snow Leopard was a great update.

Couple this with the fact that the updates are running at a price of $29....you can't really complain, especially since Lion could be bought for $29 and installed on all your Macs. Find a Windows upgrade for that price.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
same here. mission control is literally the only reason i havent upgraded to lion, and now it looks like ill just be skipping straight to mountain lion, only if they changed mission control.

What is it you don't like about mission control? Personally I really like it - grouping windows to their apps and making it clearer what is what is a big improvement for me over expose. Am I missing something?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It is exactly that grouping per app that some people strongly dislike. Apple would be able to resolve it very easily: checkbox if you want to group per app or not.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
It's far too early for me to have a solid opinion, with so little information. But the fact that they are doing this, is a good indication that they too, are unhappy with Lion.

What changes are they making from Lion to ML making you thing they are unhappy with Lion? They are just adding more iOS functionality.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Get the current best MBP, stick Snow Leopard on it and ride that train for as long as possible, wait for 10.9 and if it's still the same garbage as 10.7/8 see what other opportunities are out there.

Maybe Windows and Avid will treat me better then Lion/variants and FCPX.

Do you know any way I can downgrade my OS X Lion down to Snow Leopard without deleting everything on my MacBook?

----------

Apple appears to have adopted a 2 cycle approach to the OS updates.

Every 2 years, a major release (Leopard & Lion), in between, a minor update which optimizes and addresses many customer concerns. In my opinion, Snow Leopard was a great update.

Couple this with the fact that the updates are running at a price of $29....you can't really complain, especially since Lion could be bought for $29 and installed on all your Macs. Find a Windows upgrade for that price.

Windows is a software company so you can't blame them for charging extra for their software.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
What changes are they making from Lion to ML making you thing they are unhappy with Lion? They are just adding more iOS functionality.
As a very long time (since System 7) Mac user, it's the mere fact they are migrating away from Lion so soon, and announcing Mountain Lion, that bodes well for Apple.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Some random observations.
  1. Only apps purchased from Mac App Store can push to notification center and use Documents in the Cloud.
  2. Search on Launchpad.
  3. AirPlay mirroring. Your TV (ideally upcoming Apple branded one) will now become your wireless monitor, at least for supported apps like Safari. Hulu on TV.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Can someone using ML confirm if...

- The Shutdown dialog "reopen windows next time" tick box is gone or at least can be defaulted to unticked

- Any old gestures back like the 4 fingers up on trackpad to show desktop (not the new spread fingers out one)

- options for old style expose

- has "save as" come back to things like Preview.

- Sleep works properly if "Internet connection sharing" is left on in sharing preferences

These are the main things that have been keeping me away from Lion and would make me avoid this one too.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
A thought that just came to mind...

I am absolutely thrilled that I have an excellent 15" mid 2010 fully optioned MBP running 10.6.8 flawlessly.

The fact I've had ZERO problems, no down time, and ultra fast performance from the combo of 8GB and a 512GB 830 series Samsung SSD, makes this one laptop I am very grateful to have.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope for the sake of all of us long time Apple enthusiasts that the latest announcement brings great things.

Yet that said, in the event it doesn't... there's nothing like being totally happy with the computer you have now.

Thanks Apple :D

Kiriga

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Somewhere in time...
The announcement of ML sounds to me as if Apple is silently admitting how crappy Lion is, so instead of wasting time to improve it, they decided to start again from scratch. Personally after a while with Lion, I downgraded to SL and I've been very happy for my decision. You see, if Apple changed mission control (that's an example. I'm not sure that it will be changed) back to the good old expose, that would mean that she has to do the 2 things that she hates the most. A) admit something was great, but changed it for something that many people hate and B) do something about it. So, by releasing a new version, she somehow tries to cover both cases, distracting us and making us believe that she's moving forward once again. The rest of the features announced, are just a frosting on a stale cake. I have lost faith in this company. But I still have hope.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I have misgivings about it to be honest. Feels like there's even more emphasis on distracting iOS features (That I already have a phone for) and less and less stuff for the serious Pro.

There is one masterstroke that Apple could pull though that would turn me around completely and guarantee my support: Full visualization of Snow Leopard from within Mountain Lion, Including Quartz, OpenGL and Rosetta support...The whole bit.

This wouldn't be the same as backtracking on Rosetta by reintegrating it into ML.....It would merely give us Snow Leopard die hards a route to ML without killing our workflow and established software tools, whilst giving Apple the chance to bring us back into the fold.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
How would you say it is slimmed down? Honest question, not disagreeing.

What they really need to slim down is iTunes. Doesn't seem like that has been changed a whole heck of a lot. Divide it into multiple apps or something.

Actually, I'm all for that. I mean, it's nice having everything in one winder, but I agree, lets have multiple apps, that can merge into one. We have the app store with apps, now we need an app for the store store for music, videos, apps, etc...and we can have the music player itself as a separate player, and have it go back to being what it was originally designed to be as, a jukebox player. We could have different programs. One for the store, one for music, one for videos, itunes u, etc..., and then one big one like we have now for those who just want one program, that way it's more slimmed down

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006

That is not accurate. CMD-Delete only works when you are given the opportunity to set the name of the file, i.e. the first time you save.

It does not work for a document that has already been saved once. i.e. once you save a document, Versions takes over and there is no option to easily "Don't Save" changes.

----------

What is it you don't like about mission control? Personally I really like it - grouping windows to their apps and making it clearer what is what is a big improvement for me over expose. Am I missing something?

You are missing the fact that the Windows overlap and there is no good way to access your content if you have a lot of Windows open. i.e. I routinely have 40 - 60 windows open when I write papers and my thesis. Having Windows overlap with no good way to see them without being pulled out of Mission Control is annoying.

Not being able to see more than one space at a time also slows me down. And no, the small 1" thumbnails at the top of my screen do not help. It is faster for me to see all Windows and all Spaces at the same time, not this flick, check - flick, check - flick, check - flick, check nonsense.

And, App Expose is not a substitute for All Windows Expose. App Expose pulls you out of Mission Control, which makes it so you cannot drag windows to a new Space and is also a jarring/annoying transition.

Overall, I don't like having to play Hide-and-Seek with my content. I want just want to see what is going on.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
The announcement of ML sounds to me as if Apple is silently admitting how crappy Lion is, so instead of wasting time to improve it, they decided to start again from scratch. Personally after a while with Lion, I downgraded to SL and I've been very happy for my decision. You see, if Apple changed mission control (that's an example. I'm not sure that it will be changed) back to the good old expose, that would mean that she has to do the 2 things that she hates the most. A) admit something was great, but changed it for something that many people hate and B) do something about it. So, by releasing a new version, she somehow tries to cover both cases, distracting us and making us believe that she's moving forward once again. The rest of the features announced, are just a frosting on a stale cake. I have lost faith in this company. But I still have hope.

So what crappy Lion features are they removing while admitting this failure?

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
iOS and OS X are NOT on a collision course.

Both Microsoft and Apple are making their desktop OSs’ more “mobile”, whether in functionality (Messages, Launchpad), or in User interface (Metro).

The problem is that Metro is designed thinking of finger navigation, which simply doesn’t work with a mouse, while Apple is maintaining the UI of the desktop we know separate from the finger-oriented iOS.

This, in my view, is the greater approach.

Also, iOS is giving a new shot of life to it’s creator, OS X, in the form of new and relevant functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.