iPad Thoughts on protecting your new iPad Air 2?

hazeof3dd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
So I'm upgrading from the 4 to the Air 2, and I've been quite pleased with the look and protection I'm getting from my current configuration, an Apple Smart Cover (Leather), and an iCarbons White backing (when they still sent you a cutout Apple logo ;) ). My iPad 4 has remained in pretty much perfect condition.

As far as my new Air 2 I have on preorder, I was thinking of going with the Apple Smart Cover, despite my dislike of polyurethane, and I've preordered the Skinomi clear screen protector (which I won't use), and backing (which I will use). I feel like I'm doing the best I can with my options available. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Was using iPad 4 with no protection except for the smart cover, which I haven't used much recently, and a MBP sleeve for transport (with some A4 folders). Had a couple of short scratches on the back, but the screen is pristine. Gonna put a tempered glass screen protector on this time, as my Jot Touch PP is on the way to my hands and I am a little bit worried about it. Other than that, I will put nothing, or perhaps an iCarbons back skin if someday I get scratches on the back.

;)

P.S. Sad about what mini3 turns out to be.

Last edited:

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Going with the Apple leather case. I have them on my rMini and Air and not a scratch on either. They add very little weight or bulk.

andyw715

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2013
Olive brown leather smart case with gold air 2 in it. I have a gold 6 plus in the olive brown leather case. Looks really nice.

Jony Ive

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I don't need protection, I have a lot of care and my iPads are always like brand new

PS: I don't have kids, that could be a reason

houssein31

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Thinking of going only with a smart cover and no back protection. Do you think AppleCare+ would be necessary in that case??

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Apple Care +, screen protector and a very thin profile clear back cover. I don't want to hide my Gold iPad Air 2.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I haven't used protection (aside from occasional use of Apple smart cover) since I got my iPad 3. It's fine with a few minor scratches on the back from me hitting it against a shelf by accident.

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
I gave up on cases eventually with my iPad 2 since I stopped taking it with my daily. I'll be using a smart cover for the Air 2.