Thoughts on purchasing a new MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nüb, Apr 17, 2009.

1. nüb macrumors member

Y'ello there!

I'm looking at biting the bullet and replacing my G5 PowerMac (2.13Ghz, if I remember off the top of my head) in the next few weeks. I am looking at primarily doing architectural rendering (Cinema 4D) and am a "power user" with Logic Pro. So, I am here asking you all for a bit of advice:

Do I go with a Quad-Core 2.26Ghz machine?
    Or do I spend $1200 more and get a Quad 2.66Ghz machine?

Any thoughts or 2¢ are appreciated.
    (I'll need a lot of cents to purchase this puppy, so the more the better!!!):D

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

There is no such thing of a 2.26GHz quad core Nehalem 2009 Mac Pro... Do you mean the 2.26GHz octo core ?

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Check the benchmarks on barefeats.com. You will find comparative benchmarks for Cinema 4D which you may find useful.

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Get the 8-core system (not just 4-core). Although multiple cores remain underutilized, more and more programs are exploiting 8 cores in the 2009/2010 timeframe. In particular, several RAW-file conversion programs now max-out a 4-core system.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I dunno how concerned you are with bang-4-buck economics but one of the 2008 octad machines would be better than any of the 2009 quads.

Have a look: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7270035&postcount=179

For your music/audio editing you likely won't notice the difference between any of the machines '08 or '09 from 2.66 on up. Below that and you might though. Also some audio applications and utilities are broken by hyper threading processors. True for many years now and since the new '09 Macs have HT this is something to consider and is already showing up in forums and stuff.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

as the Tessalator says: the 2008 octocore is really the "bang for your buck" mac. It's a beast of a machine i guarantee you that. i own one and takes whatever I throw at it no problem.

7. nüb thread starter macrumors member

I'm an idiot. :cool: Yes, I meant the 2.26 versus the 2.66 octo.

8. nüb thread starter macrumors member

& zer0tails:

Thanks for your reply. I'm really not familiar with the "2008 Octad." The only place I've seen them is on eBay, and I'm a bit hesitant to purchase from there. Thoughts?

If I go new, then it seems a 2.66 Octad is the way to go? It smokes my 2.16Ghz MBP, which seems to have about the same performance as my G5 (just in terms of rendering times or looking at Logic Pro's CPU meter when running two of the same tracks on different machines)

Also, for this new machine, would it makes sense to set it up in a RAID config? I'm totally unfamiliar with RAID, but i've heard that you get some added performance (mainly in the video and audio realms)??

9. nüb thread starter macrumors member

I searched for C4D benchmarks there and didn't find any. :confused: I'll take another peek!

10. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Cinema 4D benchmarks are also known as Cinebench :)

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal03.html

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FA970LL/A?afid=p210|frgl&cid=AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle
    http://www.smalldog.com/product/73586/atfgc
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...8&cid=9617483713806226900&sa=title#ps-sellers
    etc.

Octad is just the technically correct term for an 8-core machine. Dual, Quad, Octad... Some people say Octo or other weird non-word variants but it's Octad. 2008 is of course the year. :) So it just means any 8-core machine from 2008. :)

Probably, yes. It would probably be what I would select given your stated purposes. I mean if I couldn't get a 2008 2.8GHz Mac Pro that is...

Yeah, I think so - I like RAID, it's faster - I like fast. :)

To me the perfect set-up is a 3 drive RAID 0, a one drive boot HDD and an extern 2TB drive for TimeMachine or periodic back-ups. But I do lots of different things - Video, music & sound, and 3D CG, and I maintain massive libraries of e-books, iTunes, Photos, 3D objects & scenes, sound banks & instruments, etc.

Yeah and that link I provided above in post #5 is my graph of compiled times. They got theirs from me (and I got those numbers from the good folks here at MacRumors). :) The other benchmarks there are from here too. So none of them are verified by a single proprietor or actual test lab.

12. nüb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your thoughtful response!
    I'm always a little hesitant purchasing refurb, though the price seems nice. This is my last "education bought" Mac, so I'm considering going all out. The benchmarks seem like it's a pretty wicked machine. Will I see any noticeable performance increases using RAID? So one HD as the bootable drive (all OS and programs go on this drive?), another that stores files etc and number 3 that is a backup? Is there an HD size that will decrease performance? So, I'm developing image banks (for image mapping), sample banks etc. and have a lot of AAC's (debating going to lossless, but i'm not too sure yet). Do you think 2 internals and then the external will be okay? Do all HD's need to be the same capacity? Lots of questions, sorry. :eek:

Out of curiosity, what 3D modeling programs do you use? Music?