Thoughts on refurb 24" ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evillageprowler, Sep 14, 2009.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I'm not really in the market for another monitor, but I want to solicit opinions on the refurb unit @ $599 as well as on reputably refurbed monitors in general.

At $599, the refurb monitor still seems pricey compared to a new Dell 2408WFP (less than $500).

Comments?

EVP

2. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I don't own a 24" Dell for a direct comparison. The ACD seems a good price, to me, as refurbished. But too expensive at the full price.
    In contrast, the two Dell monitors I had, an 18 and later 19", both gave me problems, loosing luminosity in one area, just when the warranty expired.
    Not going for a Dell monitor anymore.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

4. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Don't anyone have any concerns about getting a refurbed monitor? I'm specifically concerned about the possibly reduced lifespan of the display quality. What reasonable expectation does one have regarding display quality lifespan of a refurb vs a brand new 24" ACD.

EVP

5. strausd macrumors 68030

Apple refurbs are very good and you can definitely trust them. Also, it comes with the same warranty you would get if you bought a brand new one and if you want to, you can also get Apple Care for it.

6. OceanView macrumors 65816

the 2408 is a good general monitor but it is aweful for photo editing as the color calibration is bad.

7. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

8. SqB macrumors 6502

2408 is a vertical alignment monitor. ACD is IPS so price comaprison is apples/oranges. The dell Ips monitor mentioned in previous post is ips and has lots of great features. I will be getting one as soon as I find some coupon codes.

9. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

I read up a bit on panel technology here: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

So, the question now is... is a refurb 24" ACD approximately equal in value to the new Dell U2410 (w/o coupon)? FWIW, I have never used the cam or mic on my MBP, but I do find the multi-format card reader very useful.

EVP

10. SqB macrumors 6502

imho

apple acd:
    • apple pretty
    • camera
    • built in speakers
    • cool cable with charger for macbook

dell u2410:
    1. multiple inputs (hdmi, dvi, component)
    2. less $$
    3. no glass for dust to get behind
    4. 90 degree pivot FTW!!!

11. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Did Dell recently change this and start adding back HDMI and DVI + VGA? I helped a friend look at a monitor in this range a few months ago and the reason they didn't go with the Dell was because there just wasn't a 22" - 24" model with HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs.

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

The U2410 also has a full-size Display Port on it, so a $4 cable from over at monoprice is all you'd need... No dealing with MDP - XX adapters.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just ordered a refurb ACD. It wont be here for about two weeks though :(

I'm not concerned at all about life span. Its not possible to tell anything about the life expectancy of an electronic. They can last 20 min or 20 years.

14. gothamm macrumors 6502a

that does not answer his question.

He was asking specifically about the refurbed monitor panels and its longevity. The refurbs are usually returns and it is uncertain how long a consumer used it before returning it.

that said, the oldest a 24" ACD can be what...a year old?

so i would say that it is a safe bet...

15. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

This display was very recently released in the states. It has been available in Japan for a bit, but only for the last week or two here.

Yeah!

16. Doju macrumors 68000

I LOVE my refurbished 24" ACD. Not one problem with it, perfect pixels, etc.

No complaints here. Stunning display. It seems massive, I was really surprised by how big it was.