Thoughts on Retina iMac Release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by intz2nu, Sep 16, 2014.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I haven't visited this site in sometime and just seen talk on the front page of a possible Retina iMac release or High-Res monitor. I was curious what your folks thoughts are on when we could see a release of a Retina iMac, late this year or anytime next year and, if sometime next year around what period of the year next year? I know the current ones are more like earl 2013 models given orders were taken in ending of 2012 but actual shipping wasn't till early in 2013 so that would make this curren gen iMacs still quite new to the party. Will Apple wait a a couple more years before an entire new mode line-up or do you think we'll see something late this year or sometime next?

2. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I would love a Retina iMac! If they released one this year I would be VERY tempted to buy one.

However even though the screen technology is ready I can see Apple waiting for Broadwell, which isn't due till well into next year. iMac design changes usually happen around every couple of years so it is possible we could see another redesign.

3. alexanderasher macrumors member

alexanderasher

Buying a maxed out 27" Retina as soon as I possibly can, if that answers your question.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Won't applications all have to be rewritten to take advantage of the higher resolution? Will there be any advantage to this effort when it comes to displaying readable plain text or is it only going to be for graphic resolution.

People with poor eyesight right now have to enlarge their screen pixels so will we end up will a display that looks beautiful but requires a magnifying glass to read text and make out miniature icons and the sort unless you've got your face a foot from the screen.

So is all the hoopla really about game playing besides graphic and video applications?

Just asking some questions.

5. alexanderasher macrumors member

alexanderasher

As a photographer, videoographer, (is that a word?) artist, and other such things, I'm excited because it lets me see my work more clearly. Plus after using a retina macbook for about a year, I have issues looking at regular 1080p displays.

Everything is so ugly now, apple has ruined me.

6. chelch macrumors regular

1080p is fine on ~15" but I agree this possible upgrade has me very excited. I was ready to build a Haswell-E PC until these rumors surfaced. It's even possible the retina Imac is Haswell-E.

7. Kjos macrumors member

I have the iMac (Haswell edition):

Seeing Apple keeping on the cutting edge with their computers makes me so happy! I will be a Apple computer owner my whole life, and I was worried there for a while when the iPad first came out that Apple wasn't going to continue with updating their computers that much. So seeing things like the Retina iMac news makes me incredibly happy! I get a new iMac about every 4 years, so I know their will be something special for when I do upgrade!

8. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

So you folks don't think Apple will wait to after 2015 to release a Retina iMac? I'd be really surprised if we seen one in 2015 given that the current model is still somewhat new?

9. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

1. 1080p will still be relevant for a long time. There's still programs like certain game UI (League of Legends, Battle.net app from Blizzard, etc) that aren't made for retina yet.

2. Retina is lovely, but like with the rMBP first generation release, there will probably be bugs i'm sure. I love my rMBP but I do have a flicker issue from the vid card. The lag got better tho, and i've loved every minute of using it even with those small issues.

3. So close to release, it's worth waiting for the info in October, but I wouldn't tell anyone to wait if they need a new computer. The present line is still amazing, and like I said the hardware won't just become obsolete as soon as retina iMacs release.

4. They will probably keep retina for the top of the line 27 inch iMacs for now, or create a separate line at first...but it will probably be expensive either way. I don't see it coming to the 21.5 inch line for a while, could be wrong tho.

10. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I wouldn't call it somewhat new, its 1 year old. On average thats actually above regular updates, except when they have been postponed because of production problems on brand new designs, like the 2012 iMac.
    But, it could be delayed because there hasnt been any noticable cpu updates since last year and Intel have delayed their new cpus. But that's the only reason I could think of.

I think waiting until October should be something everyone who isnt in deperate need should do. They released the iMac on the same event as the ipad in late 2012, when it had a new design (when apple had their product barf fest). The current model didnt have anything worth announcing, just a spec bump... But, if they are planning to release a retina version, it might be something they would add on top of an ipad event again - iPad alone isnt enough for an event anymore, at least if they aren´t bringing something new to the table - which theres no indication of...Also, there´s been rumors of an iMac update with some proof (apples bootcamp support page stating 27" 2014 model which currently doesnt exist, and in OSX Yosemite with the retina indication)

Time will tell, but its not long till october :)

11. Serban Suspended

With Yosemite Apple will introduce the new 27" 5K iMac with standard 980M (8Gb vRam), 16 Gb Ram and 1T Fusion Drive and 4 thunderbolt 2

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

wishful thinking :rolleyes:

13. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I'd buy that, but it's not going to happen. Maybe next year...

14. Roller macrumors 68020

Not that I'd mind buying one, but you know this how? For an announcement that's only a few weeks off, there have been essentially no leaks and no recent speculation by our favorite analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo.

15. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I wish - just think how much more popular an iMac with those specs would be as compared to the Apple Watch which nobody wants because it can't do anything useful? Just think of all the wasted R&D that went into that Watch when it could have gone into truly ground breaking useful products like 21" and 27" iMacs with 4K screens.

16. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

You do have a habit of expressing wishes as if they were just about to come true :)

Wonder what the yield is like on those 5k panels and whether they can produce large quantities. When we started seeing retina screens, the problem was making them and the smaller they were, the better the chances of producing one without dead pixels. So, my feeling when we talked about it last year is that we were more likely to see a smaller retina iMac alongside the regular line, perhaps even a return to the 21.5. Now, I'm not so sure, could the smaller form factor imposed by a small screen house and cool the processing power required to drive it.

I doubt we'll see one this year, I don't expect anything significant until Intel delivers. What we might see is some 5k displays aimed at the Pro and that could be a good way of ramping up ready for something late 2015

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Retina iMacs are not in the cards for the near future. And not likely, at least until the price of the required panels comes down significantly. These panels are simply still way too expensive to realistically be included in iMacs in the near future.

Hi-res monitors such as a revamped Cinema or TB display however, are in a different price category, and I think are a distinct possibility within the next six mos, and would be welcomed by all those MacPro owners, who have been patiently waiting, but currently have to shop elsewhere for proper monitors that can do justice to those Dual AMD FirePro cards.

18. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Can be.....

done. The question is when?....Normal screen iMacs saw a fair share of problems. Apple itself had problems with the thin profile of the screens and their fabrication. And right now Apple has full hands with iOS devices (the money makers). So, my advice ( and I can be wrong) is to wait. Unless you need an iMac pronto....

:):apple:

19. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Imho, the only things on that 'wishlist' of yours that are even remotely plausible (but not even in the same time frame as Yosemite) would be the 1T Fusion Drive as standard equipment, and more than likely two TB2 ports.

I believe you're going to have to have some more patience before Retina panels are coming to iMacs.