Thoughts on RMBP display from an 82 year old man

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cgully, Jun 22, 2012.

1. cgully macrumors newbie

I am not the 82 year old man, but I do tutor him once per week on how to use Wordpress. We meet in a coffee shop for an hour, and I bring my laptop so we can go through the lesson together.

Until last week, I had been bringing in either:
    a) my own 2007 17" MBP
    b) a borrowed 2011 13" MBP

He never noticed these were two different computers, despite the obvious size differential. He's the kind of person who touches a keyboard or mouse gingerly because he thinks that he may destroy the internet with a mis-click. This is a man to whom I had to explain for 20 minutes the difference between a search bar and an address bar.

But then this week I brought in my new computer (RMBP 2.7/16/512) and as soon as I turned it on he points to the screen and says "My goodness, those icons are so bright!" He was absolutely fascinated, and couldn't believe that a screen could look so detailed.

I tell this story because I've heard some folks say that the retina display is a gimmick, and that running it at 1440x900 is a waste on this display. I guarantee you that it is not. If you want screen real estate, I'm sure you know how to scale the display, but if you just want something that looks gorgeous, then this screen really does live up to its hype. If an almost-blind 82 year old technophobe can notice the difference and see its value, I'm sure you can too!

As always, your mileage may vary. Thanks for reading.

PS: Unrelated, but for those interested, I've had great success gaming on this machine so far. D3, Portal 2, Civ5, and Skyrim all run beautifully on near-ultra settings. No hiccups of any kind so far!

2. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

That's great to hear. I'm sure people lots of people with bad vision can really appreciate the crisp screen.

3. jtap macrumors member

Great story, thanks for sharing! Makes me want my rMBP to arrive even sooner now haha. :D

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

He wants to bake salmon under a full moon on a hot griddle whilst doing backflips.

6. cgully thread starter macrumors newbie

I was originally part of the "ships in 7-10 days" group on launch day, but in the end it actually arrived only 8 days later. I hope you're as lucky as I am!

7. Blue604 macrumors regular

Totally agree.

Some fools think retina display is gimmick.

8. doh123 macrumors 65816

because some of them are like a boss I once had...

We put in a purchase request for laptops that were about $1500 each, and he seriously turned it down because he saw a commercial about Gateway laptops on sale for $699 and he said we should get those because they are priced better. When I told him they won't do what we need, he was completely puzzled and basically said... "why? a laptop is a laptop"

9. darwin022 macrumors regular

One of the biggest things I've noticed with the retina display iPad and MBP.R is that everything displayed looks crisper and clearer, like you're reading it on a piece of paper. THAT is why I recommend the new screens to uh, older people who generally can't tell a difference. Those same people almost always print everything out for some unknown/antiquated reason. I've mentioned to people inquiring that "it looks like you're reading a sheet of paper." That plus seeing one in person, they usually see a difference. Even if their eyes aren't very good and they (like someone above this post mentioned) never really look past the sale/price of a computer and don't understand the difference between a $700 laptop and anything more expensive than that.

Regardless of how well or poorly he can see, he has already complemented the screen and has noticed the difference. That's enough of a reason right there.

Oh yeah ...I hate print devices and icky nasty dirty printed hard copy...

10. advaitan macrumors newbie

how do you know my grandfather? ↑ this is an amazing description, cracked me and my wife up. thanks.

11. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thanks for sharing. When I look at my MPB 13 inch and my rMBP, truly there is a difference. :D