Thoughts on rMBP, upgrading from early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kappaknight, Aug 7, 2014.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

So I picked up a late 2013 rMBP this week to play with Yosemite. The reason I'm upgrading is because I wanted to be able to use Handoff later this year when Yosemite is officially released.

My last laptop was an 2011 MBP with high res matte display, and a 600GB SSD that I put in. While I certainly did not have any complaints about my laptop, I was still shocked at the differences that I'm able to tell from the upgrade.

Never in 10+ years would I ever describe the 2011 MBP as "heavy" considering some of the other laptops I've had in the last 10 years that were 1.5" thick, and bulky. However, now that I'm using the rMBP more often, the SuperDrive in the older MBP is definitely making it feel heavy and bulky.

Both of the screens are pretty decent. I haven't really worked outside too much yet, so I'm still not sure if I'll be annoyed by the glare. Having a matte screen really spoiled me.

Another benefit that I'm now seeing is the wireless a/c. When I was moving the Yosemite install file, I managed to copy the 5+ GB file in under a minute; which was amazing.

Despite all the little things that a lot of people bitch about on here, I'm just amazed that I was still able to feel like the upgrade is worth it. A lot of things have certainly changed in the last three years, and being a "new" rMBP user, I can gladly say those changes have been for the better. I'm definitely looking forward to improving my productivity with this new machine. :D

Crazy world we live in...

Side note: I think I'm definitely in love with Yosemite. Some of the changes take a little bit getting used to - but I like the direction it's going. It's definitely starting to be more of a personal assistant, rather than just a platform for software to sit on. The way computing should be.

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Hi kappaknight,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2011 MBP before 'Radeongate' affects my machine with the new 2014 rmbp. Just out of interest, how much faster and snappier does your new MBP seem compared to your 2011 version? How long does boot up time take approximately?

Also, is the size/form factor/weight noticeable between the two, considering it's slimmer profile and weight difference between the 2 being only around 0.5kg?

Would be interesting to hear. :D

Thanks!

3. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'd be able to answer that for you. Went from a early 2011 13" to a late 2013 13" rMBP.

Lemme tell ya! The screen looks way better and brighter, it is so much more portable than my old laptop and restarts in 10 seconds whereas my old laptop takes nearly 1 minute! It truly is incredible how such a difference can exist between machines three years older/younger.

5. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yes, I got a 15".

----------

Because I got an SSD on my 2011 machine, boot up for both machine feels pretty quick. I don't reboot all that often, so it's not something that affects me day-to-day.

The rMBP definitely feels noticeably lighter though. (Talking about the 15" here.)