Thoughts on Samsung Galaxy 7.7 Amoled ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Starlights, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Starlights macrumors member

Any thoughts on the New (to be released soon) Samsung Galaxy 7.7 Amoled Tab? Looking for a good Mid Size Tab....worth holding out for?

It seems to have the best of both worlds in terms of size, resolution, weight and looks..... Expected to be released by or before Christmas.....

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/7.7/feature.html?type=find

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 display uses the company's active matrix organic light-emitting diode technology, which Samsung says will mean good contrast, brightness, and colors. The resolution--1,280x800 with a 7.7-inch diagonal-

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 comes with HSPA+ 21 Mbps mobile network technology and can make voice and video calls.

In the hardware department, the model has a dual-core processor running at 1.4GHz, 1GB of memory and support for 32GB MicroSD cards, a 5,100mAh battery good for to 10 hours of video, a front-facing 2-megapixel camera and rear-facing 3-megapixel camera with an LED flash, support for 802.11 a/b/g/n standards at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It measures 196.7x133x 7.89mm and weighs 335g.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Biggest limitation for this tablet will be that it is running on 3.2 Honeycomb and not ICS. It says nothing on the web page indicating if or when this tablet would get the upgrade. Nor did I see a pricetag.

So unless it can get ICS and it has a $200 pricetag, I see this tablet flopping just like every other Samsung tablet.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

No way is this tablet ever going to be introduced at $199. In keeping with the Samsung tradition, my guess will be that it will be something like $299 on contract and $699 off contract. The wifi version will be at least $399.

That being said, it looks to be nicely designed with decent specs. I would say as a new tab this has a good chance of being upgraded to ics in about 6 months or so.

4. Starlights, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

Starlights thread starter macrumors member

Well - Wife wants a tablet (prefers a 7" size) - this late in the year, I am not sure if its worth spending retail on Ipad 2, since Ipad 3 will be released in a few months, even then, its 10".
    Thats when i came across this and was impressed. How bad is honeycomb compared to IOS? How much better would ICS be ?

I dont think it would be any less than $399, perhaps higher, but then it has micro SD slot of expansion, which makes a huge difference for us.

Toshiba Thrive 7" is another option (expected to be released around 2nd wk of Dec 2011)

Same screen resolution as Samsung above, with Micro SD, Mini HDMI/USB. Will be honeycomb as well....

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

If you want 7" and cheap, with the ability to root and sideload full Android, then the Nook Color or Nook tablet is your best option. Not sure if the Nook Tablet has been rooted yet by the Android dev team?