Thoughts on the base 2016 15" MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Naimfan, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I thought I'd try one of the new 2016 15" MB, and bought a base model. I was able to order online and pick it up within about 30 minutes.

The packaging is very similar to the 2014 and 2015 MBPs I have; although I was amused to see the plastic box liner and box appear to be glued together.

It's a nice looking machine, and indeed a bit smaller and lighter than the 2014 I use day to day. I was able to migrate everything over, with one exception: I keep my iTunes library on a 256 GB Jetdrive Lite 360, and couldn't migrate that to the 256 GB SSD of the 2016. Nor could I re-use the Jetdrive Lite with the 2016. That's a bummer - no music. Aside from that, I bought one of the $9 Apple USB-C to A adapters and was able to use my other USB peripherals. Only one at a time, but they did work. The lack of Magsafe just feels wrong on a Mac laptop.

In terms of work performance, there was no difference, which makes sense given the benchmarks for both. The only game I've tried was Civ. 5; the 2016 was noticeably better at graphics than the 2014 (which is a base 2.2/16/256/Iris Pro). I haven't had any graphics issues, either. The increased storage speed of the 2016 was, for what I do, invisible and thus irrelevant. I also didn't see any difference in temperature.

With battery life, I haven't hit 10 hours - the best I've gotten so far is 7, which is about an hour more than the 2014 provides. The touchbar in real life really does seem like just a gimmick - I don't care for it and prefer the function keys on the prior rMBPs. Also, the screens seem indistinguishable - for all the talk about how good the screen on the 2016 is, there's very little difference to the 2014/15 models.

The two things I can say I don't like are the keyboard and the trackpad. The keyboard is both noisy and not tactile enough - there's not enough travel on the keys. The 2014 and 2015 have barely enough travel, the 2016 just feels harsh to me. The trackpad is just too damn big, and has a hard time ignoring wrist input.

Overall, it's . . . OK. And I think it an even poorer value than before - especially with respect to storage and the lack of an SD card slot. If someone does work that would make use of the graphics, then perhaps, but otherwise - it just doesn't offer the value demanded by the price.

2. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

How you got 7 hours battery life what brightness and usage

3. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 601

Naimfan

I've been using it at about 60% brightness - just a tick past halfway. I use it for mostly Office, browsing, Photos, iTunes, and some light Photoshop and Premiere.

Nice machine.