Thoughts on the Dell E-IPS 2209WA? Anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jb60606, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I've been searching for a high quality monitor(s) to compliment my mac pro. I'm currently on a 25.5" Samsung TN display that I thought was the bomb... until my employer replaced all of our aging NEC LCDs with exquisite (self-calibrating!!!) EIZOs. I thought I'd just grab a couple of 23" ACDs at a discount off of eBay, but the ridiculous price gouging of the available "BuyItNow" items and nearly impossible highly competitive auctions turned me off of that idea in a hurry.

It came down to two choices:

1.) HP LP2475W 24in S-IPS, 2xDVI, DisplayPort, 2xHDMI(?), USB @ $600+ (great reviews everywhere)
    2.) DELL 2209WA 22in E-IPS, 1xDSUB(?), 1xDVI, USB @ $250+ (reviews are few and far between, but CNET Australia says that it's the best 22" LCD they've ever tested)

You can probably tell why I titled this thread in the DELL's favor. I'll need two of whatever I choose, as neither offer enough real estate for what I have planned for them and choosing the DELL would save me a huge chunk of dough.

Any 2209WA owners think I should stay away?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The DELL is only sold on their Small Business site. The link above is from the Canadian site.

2. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up ordering a refurbished 30" ACD off of Apple's website. Go figure.

I hope I don't regret it.

On a side note; I came home to find my 1yr old 25.5" Samsung LCD nearly on its last leg. It's so bright, it's almost black & white. Can no longer adjust the brightness/contrast. Talk about good timing.

3. 929406 macrumors regular

i'm sure you can't go wrong with the 30" ACD, I love my 23.

I have also been wondering about the Dell, it is the cheapest ISP panel monitor I have been but downside is only 1680 X 1050 at 60 Hz . Does this matter in everyday use?

4. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

here's a couple of videos on the 2209WA (viewing angles, stand and OSD). Looks pretty solid; especially considering the price.

Viewing Angles
    Stand demonstrations
    OSD

And here's another vote of confidence for Apple's refurbished products. I just got my 30" ACD and couldn't be more amazed. Phenomenal color/text rendering and not a single dead pixel or 'dark-spot' on the screen. TN never again.