Thoughts on the Kindle (6in)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kajitox, Aug 31, 2009.

1. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'm a student and considering getting a Kindle 2 (6in)... there's a good offer on craigslist for one...

What are your thoughts? Hows the PDF viewer? Textbook availability? Connectivity? General price vs. usability breakdown?

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I don't know about textbooks (I haven't been a student in a few decades) but I'm chuffed to bits over my Kindle 2 for just general reading. PDF handling is pretty solid -- I loaded all the Snow Leopard OS X Server doc PDFs on mine and have been reading them that way. No significant formatting problems at all.

It's completely replaced dead tree books for me in nearly all cases.

3. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I will just say this... If you read at all, you will love the kindle!! It has really changed my life! (used to carry 3-6 book around at a time, now I only have one!)

I LOVE my Kindle!

4. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Do a search to make sure the books you want to read are available for the Kindle. Some authors avoid e-books (no Harry Potter, for example).
    If it's got the books you want to read then you're good to go.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Can you load PDF files to it? I have a bunch of ebook textbooks ive already bought.

6. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Yeah, I was also curious to know if it supported marking up PDFs like highlighting and annotating... things of that sort.

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You can take clips of books (and loaded PDFs) but it doesn't do any inline display and the interface is clunky. The refresh on the electronic ink display makes typing and scrolling tedious.

If you expect to do that sort of thing a lot I doubt you'd be pleased with any e-ink based reader.