Thoughts on the Macally Protective Case (SmartMate)?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Gordonpn, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Gordonpn macrumors member

Gordonpn

I'm thinking of buying this case because I saw it on Best Buy's website for $19.99. Which is pretty good price in my opinion. The features it offers are pretty cool too.
    This would be my first back cover.

What do you guys think? Any feedback from those who have tried it?

http://www.macally.com/EN/?page_id=1663

2. glen e macrumors 68030

I have two....ok quality...perform as advertised...

3. batotman macrumors 6502

I have owned two. The first one I bought shortly after launch. Sharp edges that slowly rounded themselves out. Tabs that retain the iPad in the case were not great and tended to let it come out easily.

However, the second one I got about a week ago is vastly better. Tabs fit well and the iPad is held snugly. I put a thin piece of EMI absorber in the back to hold the smartcover in place when folded back like a magazine. I'm pretty pleased with it.

And I really think the audio redirect kicks all sorts of ass. I can't believe every case manufacturer hasn't copied this simple concept.

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I have a covermate and I replaced it with an ozaki y++ (you can find my review of the ozaki on here), but the macally is a nice case I just hated the stand options, it was really unstable.

The back alone though should be good, and I agree the one feature I miss is the audio amplifier thing. All case manufacturers need to put that in their cases.