Thoughts on the missing iWeb '11, Apple's new server farm and the MacApp Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by perdalum, Oct 26, 2010.

1. perdalum macrumors newbie

I had this thought yesterday about a likely scenario regarding the missing iWeb '11.

See, we know that Apple is building a huge server farm that almost certainely is pertaining to MobileMe or its sucessor. We also know that that iWeb is rather tied to the web and MobileMe (off course I know that you can use iWeb without MobileMe). And the MacApp Store is coming in less t han 90 days.

So, I think that the iLife suite is being deprecated and the four apps are going to be sold individually in the MacApp Store. Thereby they can have individual releases.

Therefore I sincerly hope that in 90 days we are getting a totally revamped iWeb '11 in the MacApp Store, hopefully with a iOS component for updating blogs etc. And off course iWeb '11 will be able to create beatiful iOS web site.

Sounds plausible?

Regards,

perdalum

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think we are getting an updated iWeb anytime soon, if we were it would have been announced alongside all of the other iLife apps.

3. perdalum thread starter macrumors newbie

But I think the the new iWeb is tied to the new server farms and the MacApp Store makes is possible for Apple to release the iLife programs individually. I hope! :)

4. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Something I noticed is that iWeb and iDVD still has universal binary where as the other 3 don't. This means that apple didn't even change anything with these apps, they weren't even bothered to strip out the powerpc binary to make it SL only.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Oh they probably will release them individually, but they aren't going to add updates to iWeb and make everyone who already bought iLife 11 mad.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

But iLife '11 cost $49, rather than the usual $79.

And looking at screenshots of the Mac App Store, the individual iLife apps cost $14.99 each. That would mean that $14.99 for iWeb '11 and $14.99 for iDVD '11 would make the total cost ... yep, $79.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The idea of iWeb was to bring someone's personal life, pictures, social events to the web. It was a simple but yet easy to use tool for publishing a static site.

With the advent of social networks, like facebook, the purpose of iWeb has all but disappeared. Most people are more inclined to upload pictures/news/what ever to facebook then create a homepage that they need to email out to everyone.

Do I wish iWeb was update sure, but since its so restricted in function, I've been using rapidweaver. Do I think apple is letting iweb whither on the vine, yep.

8. SteveMouzon macrumors newbie

Not so!! That may have been the original idea, but iWeb is useful for far more than just a personal website. I've built websites for a non-profit, a cause, and two companies in iWeb. Had iWeb not been there, there's no way I'd have been able to get the sites up because I don't have the time or interest to learn HTML. I'm REALLY hoping there's a pro app version of iWeb in the pipeline.

Here's my Open Letter to Steve Jobs on iWeb

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I wouldn't hold your breath if I was you.