Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
:confused: Is this actually new? No processor upgrade. No Ram upgrade.No Design Update. Most probably the most insignificant update ever in MacBooks line. Are you guys pulling the trigger on this one or actually waiting for another one year?:mad:

Amnios

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
Depends...

I'm very tempted (I have an early 2013 rMBP) and I've been waiting for a decent GPU update, but this card is so unknown that I don't know what to do.

Hopefully some benchmarks will appear in the next few days.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
:confused: Is this actually new? No processor upgrade. No Ram upgrade.No Design Update. Most probably the most insignificant update ever in MacBooks line. Are you guys pulling the trigger on this one or actually waiting for another one year?:mad:

Don't see why you are mad with apple intel never released the chips for broadwell H (and given this release never will it seems).

This update is a response to having to do something with better graphics this year, so unless you need the dGPU or really really want a force trackpad the 2014 at a discount will be a better buy....

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
Don't see why you are mad with apple intel never released the chips for broadwell H (and given this release never will it seems).

This update is a response to having to do something with better graphics this year, so unless you need the dGPU or really really want a force trackpad the 2014 at a discount will be a better buy....

Its just sad bro. Everyone had high hopes.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Its just sad bro. Everyone had high hopes.

Not me, I am perfectly happy with my 13 inch 2013 haswell rMBP.

I still don't understand what you wanted them to do, short of making their own chips (again) there is very little it made sense to upgrade. A few MHz on the ram would make little difference, there are no better chips available so why change the motherboard to accomodate them. They have done the dGPU and that was all they could really do.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
Not me, I am perfectly happy with my 13 inch 2013 haswell rMBP.

I still don't understand what you wanted them to do, short of making their own chips (again) there is very little it made sense to upgrade. A few MHz on the ram would make little difference, there are no better chips available so why change the motherboard to accomodate them. They have done the dGPU and that was all they could really do.

Your views on the new dGpu?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009

But Intel will release the 5750c Broadwell Iris Pro desktop chips. So Intel got them. If Apple does not take those why did they wait so long to update the 15". They could have done that at the same time as the 13" updates.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
But Intel will release the 5750c Broadwell Iris Pro desktop chips. So Intel got them. If Apple does not take those why did they wait so long to update the 15". They could have done that at the same time as the 13" updates.

No new dGPU ready when they did the 13's.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think its a quite nice update given the circumstances. I still would like to know more about that new GPU.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Rather underwhelming.

While improving the PCI-e speed is nice, I've never seen it to be a limiting factor.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
If you buy now, you're buying a CPU from 2013.
Think about that for a second.
In a few months, you'll already be 2 generations behind.

uX0GpdS.png

hopefulhandle

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
Northern California
So my wife and I are going down to the Apple Store today in Roseville to pay for the top Spec 15" model with the AMD dGPU. Doubt they will have it in the store. We'll see.

Just waiting for her to get back from class...

:eek:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you buy now, you're buying a CPU from 2013.
Think about that for a second.
In a few months, you'll already be 2 generations behind.

Its still the fastest CPUs available to date. :rolleyes: Maybe you were not aware that Broadwell has been delayed for more then a year. I'd prefer a real computer over something that does not exist.

Obviously Apple had to make the choice of updating the laptop with their new tech (force trackpad, new SSDs, improved battery, possibly some display tech improvement, faster GPUs) or waiting another 6-12 month until new CPUs become available. I think they made a reasonable choice under the circumstances

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
I approve of this update, and I just bought a new rMBP.

This is better than nothing. These laptops may not be much better than what was available yesterday, but they are much better than what I have on my desk today.

I think Apple should do micro-updates every 4 months, similar to other laptop vendors. That would hurt their profit margins, though.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
dusk007 said:
No new dGPU ready when they did the 13's.
The 950M was ready and if not that than the 850M and the 370X is 1.5 to 1.7 times the 750M according to Apple. The 950M is 2.2 times the 750M on average and the 850M is 2 times the 750M. So either would be faster.
Competeing products in the same weight class as the MBP all show up with 960M which is faster still and was ready since march.
I just checked the 900M series was launched exactly around the time of the 13" updates in early march. So could have used them.

Last edited:

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
The 950M was ready and if not that than the 850M and the 370X is 1.5 to 1.7 times the 750M according to Apple. The 950M is 2.2 times the 750M on average and the 850M is 2 times the 750M. So either would be faster.
Pretty certain that Apple had a new license deal with ATI though.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I'm still working away with my 2009 mbp. I use this as part of my graphics business, mainly Adobe stuff. Have budgeted for a new machine for sometime between December and next June. Guess even this new machine would be a huge speed jump to my current one, so sorely tempted to jump now

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I am very amused by people treating this CPU as some kind of inferior peasant processor. Clueless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.