Thoughts on the Pebble

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by adamlee, May 23, 2012.

1. adamlee macrumors newbie

Has anyone purchased a pebble through kickstarter? I'm kinda curious on what everyone thinks about this sort of watch. Particularly, would you buy one and why? I personally like the concept of the Pebble but I'm not sold on the design and general appearance of the device. Something like the sony smartwatch http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/ looks much nicer to me. I'm also a little hesitant on the inability fo the Pebble to display txt messages. That seems like a deal breaker for me. Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. dthree36, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

dthree36 macrumors regular

I am actually awaiting the Basis watch to launch but they are in a lawsuit and who knows how long that will delay things. I did back the Pebble and will be receiving mine in September - October. I can't say much about it other than that it is an extension of your phone. GPS will be passed through and certain apps will pass info to the phone. I honestly wasn't blown away by the Pebble but found it intriguing none the less.

It's not an entirely new concept but it has a cleaner interface than tat Sony watch and several others I have seen. It has all the innards like several other competitors but the locked down nature of IOS will limit what it can display. If you really think about it.... all these "Smart Watches" are not that smart without a phone 30ft away.

I like the watch as a vibrating alarm and being able to see certain metrics while exersicing. Other than that... notifications aren't going to be to useful to me because I usually have my phone in view. I guess i'll have to see what becomes available from 3rd party apps. It has potential but it is merely an extension of your phone.