Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I didn't see any threads about this, so figured I'd start one. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the "no reboot necessary" version of BC that comes with Leopard. For those that don't know, since Apple didn't put the info on their site:

arstechnica said:
So what's new? Well, Boot Camp still doesn't do virtualization, it just helps you run Windows on your Apple hardware. What is new is how easy it will be to use Boot Camp, since Apple is providing Windows drivers for Apple hardware along with Leopard, allowing you to play with your iSight and backlit keyboard from Windows. There's a new setup assistant, which will walk you through setting up a Windows partition when you put a Windows CD in. Best of all, though, is a feature that seems to have been removed from the Apple site (at the time of writing): no rebooting is required.

That's right, no pesky restarts to get into Windows. Instead, the Apple menu will have a "Restart into Windows" option, which will put your Mac into a "safe sleep" state, then boot Windows. Over on the other side, you'll be able to Hibernate your Windows install, then switch back to OS X right where you left off. In fact, you can do this all day long, switching from sleeping OS to hibernating OS until you feel like a nap yourself.

Sounds like a winner to me. I know I won't be using either virtualization solution if this proves to be fast and performs well.

Jan 30, 2006
How trustful is this statement?

As far as I know this is a lie. What makes BootCamp an attractive option is that you can run Windows natively with all the resources of the Mac used in Windows.

EDIT: And if tis is true, surely Steve would have said this in the keynote.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

As far as I know this is a lie. What makes BootCamp an attractive option is that you can run Windows natively with al the resources of the Mac used in Windows.

There are a number of threads regarding the fact that this statement was up at apple and has since been removed. One of the threads even had pictorial proof, will try and track it down.

The thread with pictures can be found here, thanks to Jasonbot for tracking the images down through google cache.

[I already submitted this but heres the exact post:

This morning after checking the new features on boot camp I came across a small block of text boasting faster bootcamp restarts, this afternoon I looked again and it was gone. It still appeared in google cache though (after a quick web cache)

This mornings page can be seen here:
picture3qf0.png

The updated one can be seen here:
picture2mc6.png

It seems that Apple has revoked this. Could it be possible that Apple is already using its disclaimer to its full potential? Is Apple already skimping Leopard features?

EDIT: change title please

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006

As far as I know this is a lie. What makes BootCamp an attractive option is that you can run Windows natively with all the resources of the Mac used in Windows.

I know for a fact that it said this exact quote for Boot Camp on the Leopard features page yesterday, but they seemed to have removed it today... weird.

"Leopard brings a quicker way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows: Just choose the new Apple menu item “Restart in Windows.” Your Mac goes into “safe sleep” so that when you return, you’ll be right where you were. It’s much faster than restarting the computer each time. Likewise, a “Restart in Mac OS X” menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/bootcamp.html

Jan 30, 2006
If this doesn't affects performance in Windows or OS X it would be great. I really don't use Windows that much, so paying $79 dollars for Parallels is not a very attractive option.

Why would they remove it? It's strange.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Ouch! This was one of the more impressive features coming with Leopard IMO... why'd they remove it? I wonder if we really will get a feature like that??

Jan 30, 2006
Ouch! This was one of the more impressive features coming with Leopard IMO... why'd they remove it? I wonder if we really will get a feature like that??

Maybe Steve is going to give another keynote and introduce something more. Maybe iLife, iWork and the new iMacs.:p

But seriously, it seems as if they were unable to make it work correctly and are waiting to see if they can get it to work.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Maybe Steve is going to give another keynote and introduce something more. Maybe iLife, iWork and the new iMacs.:p

But seriously, it seems as if they were unable to make it work correctly and are waiting to see if they can get it to work.

It isn't difficult to make this feature work, per se... on OS X, you Safe Sleep as normal, and then tell the machine to reboot using the Windows boot record. On Windows, you tell Windows to hibernate and reboot using the OS X partition.

The thing that hasn't been working is Hibernate in Vista... At least with my MacBook and Mac Pro, I haven't gotten a successful Hibernate out of Vista yet. Apple can't magically make it work without working with Intel and others on updated Windows drivers.

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
sounds brilliant,
if they include it.......

just wondering how it would work with parallels/vmware,(with the same windows installation),

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Thats one of the first things that caught my eye.

Wonder why Apple changed it the next day..

SNAFU perhaps ? accidently put up specs that wern't meant to be released until a later date.That's what I think.
However the fast O/S switching would take some CPU resources even if Windows goes into hibernation mode when switching to OSX and OSX goes to sleep when switching to Windows.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Thats one of the first things that caught my eye.

Wonder why Apple changed it the next day..

SNAFU perhaps ? accidently put up specs that wern't meant to be released until a later date.That's what I think.
However the fast O/S switching would take some CPU resources even if Windows goes into hibernation mode when switching to OSX and OSX goes to sleep when switching to Windows.

Why do you say that? After putting one OS to sleep, the machine is rebooted completely into the other. It is just using the existing Safe Sleep/Hibernation setup before doing the reboot so that rebooting is faster. You can do this somewhat already... there just isn't a menu item for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.