Thoughts on the semi-"Fast OS Switching" in Leopard Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fishkorp, Jun 12, 2007.

1. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I didn't see any threads about this, so figured I'd start one. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the "no reboot necessary" version of BC that comes with Leopard. For those that don't know, since Apple didn't put the info on their site:

Sounds like a winner to me. I know I won't be using either virtualization solution if this proves to be fast and performs well.

2. 66217 Guest

How trustful is this statement?

As far as I know this is a lie. What makes BootCamp an attractive option is that you can run Windows natively with all the resources of the Mac used in Windows.

EDIT: And if tis is true, surely Steve would have said this in the keynote.

3. fishkorp thread starter macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i've read similar things on multiple sites (not outlined as well as the Ars article) from various people at WWDC.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There are a number of threads regarding the fact that this statement was up at apple and has since been removed. One of the threads even had pictorial proof, will try and track it down.

The thread with pictures can be found here, thanks to Jasonbot for tracking the images down through google cache.

5. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I know for a fact that it said this exact quote for Boot Camp on the Leopard features page yesterday, but they seemed to have removed it today... weird.

"Leopard brings a quicker way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows: Just choose the new Apple menu item “Restart in Windows.” Your Mac goes into “safe sleep” so that when you return, you’ll be right where you were. It’s much faster than restarting the computer each time. Likewise, a “Restart in Mac OS X” menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/bootcamp.html

6. 66217 Guest

If this doesn't affects performance in Windows or OS X it would be great. I really don't use Windows that much, so paying $79 dollars for Parallels is not a very attractive option.

Why would they remove it? It's strange.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Ouch! This was one of the more impressive features coming with Leopard IMO... why'd they remove it? I wonder if we really will get a feature like that??

8. 66217 Guest

Maybe Steve is going to give another keynote and introduce something more. Maybe iLife, iWork and the new iMacs.:p

But seriously, it seems as if they were unable to make it work correctly and are waiting to see if they can get it to work.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It isn't difficult to make this feature work, per se... on OS X, you Safe Sleep as normal, and then tell the machine to reboot using the Windows boot record. On Windows, you tell Windows to hibernate and reboot using the OS X partition.

The thing that hasn't been working is Hibernate in Vista... At least with my MacBook and Mac Pro, I haven't gotten a successful Hibernate out of Vista yet. Apple can't magically make it work without working with Intel and others on updated Windows drivers.

10. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

11. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

sounds brilliant,
    if they include it.......

just wondering how it would work with parallels/vmware,(with the same windows installation),

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Thats one of the first things that caught my eye.

Wonder why Apple changed it the next day..

SNAFU perhaps ? accidently put up specs that wern't meant to be released until a later date.That's what I think.
    However the fast O/S switching would take some CPU resources even if Windows goes into hibernation mode when switching to OSX and OSX goes to sleep when switching to Windows.

13. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Why do you say that? After putting one OS to sleep, the machine is rebooted completely into the other. It is just using the existing Safe Sleep/Hibernation setup before doing the reboot so that rebooting is faster. You can do this somewhat already... there just isn't a menu item for it.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

15. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber