Thoughts on the value of Applecare+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bob Coxner, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I didn't get it with my order today but I can still add it. I just can't make up mind whether it's worth it or not. I have accidental coverage with my homeowner's policy but it's $100 deductible and could in theory affect my next insurance rate if I make a claim.

I didn't get Applecare with my iPad 1 since there was little that could go wrong and it didn't cover accidental damage. Applecare+ seems to make more sense but it's only an extra year (rather than the extra 2 years with simple Applecare), so that lowers the value to me.

I need to decide soon, before the order is processed, since the nearest Apple Store is about 100 miles away and I don't want to have to make a trip there in the first 30 days to get it.

I would appreciate any advice - pro or con.

2. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Keep an eye out for squaretrade sales...it's a better deal. Their customer service is very good and if you cancel before the covered term is up, they'll give you the prorated difference $ back.

3. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

At the moment Squaretrade is $99 for 2 years, normally $129. That's the same price as Applecare+, so no advantage and I wouldn't have the extended phone support. Squaretrade doesn't have a deductible, so that's a plus.

4. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Will apple give you (prorated) money back if you cancel the coverage?

5. B.A.T macrumors 6502

6. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Applecare+ is a good deal I highly recommend it.

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

I got an email from squaretrade today that they would be sending information about a deal on their iPad warranty on the 16th. It may be advantageous to give them some time to think about what offers they are going to make on the new model.
    I have squaretrade coverage for my original iPad. One advantage is that they give the option to cover it for thee years. That is how long I plan to own the iPad, so the 3 year coverage is a good option.

9. denaliOnDubs macrumors regular

denaliOnDubs

I purchased AppleCare+ when I got my Iphone 4S. I was told at the time it would cover accidental damage for a charge of $49.00 per occurrence (with a limit of two occurrences over two years). Last week I dropped my Iphone in the parking lot of my busy apartment complex. By the time I found the phone it was ran over/completely demolished. I picked up the pieces and made a genius bar appointment. I was told that if it was just a cracked screen or something of that nature it would be covered but total destruction is not. I can understand the reasoning behind this because they repair the phone and send it back for the next guy. I may have just been dumb but this never occurred to me when purchasing the AppleCare+...

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

applecare+

I buy all my iPads with either plat or centurion amex, i believe the gold all cover damage for 90 days complimentary. Also these extend the warranty for an additional year. So i think the extra 100 and 50 per instance is kind of a waste. Usually for most things its en easy part fix. We shall see