Thoughts on these App's...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikeyangelo58, Sep 18, 2011.

1. mikeyangelo58 macrumors member

Thoughts on these App's

1Password - 24.99

Fantastical - $19.99

SKYSafari Plus - $11.99

DayOne - $9.99

Course Notes - $7.99

Folder Factory $2.99

Suggestions welcome...

:apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you read the reviews of these apps in the App Store?

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I use Day One every day, but I don't suggest buying the Mac version if you have an iOS device. I have the $2 Universal iOS version on my iPhone and iPad, and it does the exact same thing except is only 1/5 the price.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

1Password is awesome. You can use it with many browsers, keep track of software, and use it across many computers and i-devices.

5. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I might as well save this message so i dont have to repeat it again and again

1password is the best app on the mac in my opinion. I have it on my ipod, my android, my mac and my work pc.

No other password management app is even close to it and while it is a tad expensive, it is worth every single penny.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

1Password and Folders Factory are both awesome.

7. Young Spade, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

Young Spade macrumors 68020

but anyway, fantastical is a great program; I use it to input all of my calendar dates that pop up during the day (teacher giving out information in lecture/itineraries with friends, etc.).

Never had a need for a password protection program though; if you have a good memory and use a legit password along with good password "techniques", you shouldn't have any problems.

If the site gets hacked, having a password of 4 to 13243 characters doesn't make any difference.

Edited for corrections

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

LOL, how'd you figure that out? All I got from the OP is that he/she merely asked on what we thought on these apps.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's what I'm saying; like, why would he buy them and then ask what we think?

THat's like buying a computer and then asking US if they made a good buy or not. Why not just ask first?

Now if he specified as to what tips or tricks we could give FOR them, that would be different. But that wasn't asked.

This is all assuming he is merely asking for our opinion, and it wouldn't affect his own personal opinion in any way.

10. MartinAW macrumors member

I don't think he has bought them, just happened to list the prices.

Only app I have used from your list is 1Password which was a really good buy. I checked for open source password managers, but none compare to the finish of 1Password. It works smoothly, and does everything I need it to do.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Not sure why there is so much discussion guessing at the OP's motivation.

OP asked for MR members "thoughts" on the apps.

If you have thoughts or opinions regarding the apps - state them (as some did).

Folks frequently come here asking for ideas and opinions because this is a good place to get a broad range of (generally) knowledgeable opinions. So far there seems to be more discussion about why the OP opened the thread than answers to his/her question. :( Seems a little snarky... :rolleyes:

Just saying...

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Because it's an open thread? That's like asking why so many people drink at nascar races when they're "supposed to be there for the race".

As you drink more alcohol, you'd hinder your perception and focus on the cars, thereby lowering the "entertainment" of that race, following your logic.

The why is just as important as the how; I wrongly inferred(?) that he already bought them and then asked for our opinions. I get that.

But me asking why isn't a "bad" thing.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, I didn't quite get the simile. :confused:

Not important, though. All I meant to say (perhaps unclearly) was; answer the question or don't. No issues of "bad" or "good".

14. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

No, I mean How did you figure that the OP already bought the apps? He/she merely asked for our opinion on them. For all we know, the OP didn't yet buy the apps.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I understand that; which is why I edited my previous posts. I assumed.

16. mikeyangelo58 thread starter macrumors member

...who said I didn't read them already?

----------

...very snarky

I assume because they are middle aged and live in their parents basement...

17. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have Day One on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. It is a great app for keeping a journal/diary. Having on all three device allows me to jot down an entry or thought without having to worry about what device I am using. I use the mac app the most and when I am not at the Mac, well there is the iPhone and iPad.

If you have a Mac and an iPhone or iPad I would recommend getting both versions. The syncing is done very well behind the scenes via dropbox.

----------

The Mac version does a lot ore than the iPad/iPhone version. Has a few more views as well.

18. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what id do without 1password. amazing app

19. MartinAW macrumors member

P.S I think the app store version of 1Password is different to the retail version you can buy from their website. A lot of people have been dissapointed with it, so you would be better buying the retail version.