THoughts on these images (night photography)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by glocke12, Dec 14, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I pass this barn on one of my nightly walks and thought it would make for a good picture. Not really sure what I think about the final product...

http://gallery.me.com/glocke12/100590

The black and white seems a little more interesting, but it still doesn't seem as interesting as it looks in real life...

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I don't doubt that this barn is a good subject for a photograph, but this composition leaves me wondering what exactly you found most interesting about it "in real life." The building takes up most of the frame, so we don't get a sense of a subject in a setting, and therefore, we go looking at the details of the building to see which one really stands out as the main point of interest. The strong light emphasizes the brickwork, and also causes the wreath to cast a prominent shadow. Those two areas kind of compete for attention. Also, the photo is rather flat, since it doesn't have a distinct foreground, middle-ground, and background.

Does the building actually lean to the left, or is the photo just not level? It's difficult to tell with the tight framing.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I guess thats what Im missing, is more perspective in the composition. I should have used a wider angle lens.

In real life I think what I found attractive about it was not only the barn, but its surroundings also.

Building doesn't lean to the left, it does sit on a hill though. I tried correcting the lean in aperture but didn't do a good enough job I guess.

Ill try again with a wider angle lens.

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, a wider angle might help if you can't get further back from the barn. Also, if you want a greater sense of perspective, it really helps if you can get in two sides of a building, one darker, and one lighter (the two sides need not be visible in equal amounts, of course). That makes the building look more three-dimensional.

5. cali shot doc macrumors member

i'd zoom out just a tad and bring more of the sky into the photo (even do a time lapse if your camera allows you to keep the shutter open for a few minutes)