Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I pass this barn on one of my nightly walks and thought it would make for a good picture. Not really sure what I think about the final product...

http://gallery.me.com/glocke12/100590

The black and white seems a little more interesting, but it still doesn't seem as interesting as it looks in real life...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
it still doesn't seem as interesting as it looks in real life...

I don't doubt that this barn is a good subject for a photograph, but this composition leaves me wondering what exactly you found most interesting about it "in real life." The building takes up most of the frame, so we don't get a sense of a subject in a setting, and therefore, we go looking at the details of the building to see which one really stands out as the main point of interest. The strong light emphasizes the brickwork, and also causes the wreath to cast a prominent shadow. Those two areas kind of compete for attention. Also, the photo is rather flat, since it doesn't have a distinct foreground, middle-ground, and background.

Does the building actually lean to the left, or is the photo just not level? It's difficult to tell with the tight framing.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I don't doubt that this barn is a good subject for a photograph, but this composition leaves me wondering what exactly you found most interesting about it "in real life." The building takes up most of the frame, so we don't get a sense of a subject in a setting, and therefore, we go looking at the details of the building to see which one really stands out as the main point of interest. The strong light emphasizes the brickwork, and also causes the wreath to cast a prominent shadow. Those two areas kind of compete for attention. Also, the photo is rather flat, since it doesn't have a distinct foreground, middle-ground, and background.

Does the building actually lean to the left, or is the photo just not level? It's difficult to tell with the tight framing.

I guess thats what Im missing, is more perspective in the composition. I should have used a wider angle lens.

In real life I think what I found attractive about it was not only the barn, but its surroundings also.

Building doesn't lean to the left, it does sit on a hill though. I tried correcting the lean in aperture but didn't do a good enough job I guess.

Ill try again with a wider angle lens.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I guess thats what Im missing, is more perspective in the composition. I should have used a wider angle lens.

Yeah, a wider angle might help if you can't get further back from the barn. Also, if you want a greater sense of perspective, it really helps if you can get in two sides of a building, one darker, and one lighter (the two sides need not be visible in equal amounts, of course). That makes the building look more three-dimensional.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
i'd zoom out just a tad and bring more of the sky into the photo (even do a time lapse if your camera allows you to keep the shutter open for a few minutes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.