thoughts on this cheap comp.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brendu, Nov 8, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

im curious... my sister needs a new computer, wants a laptop, and this is about all her budget can afford... im not gonna recommend she buys used so this seems like a great deal.. can anyone tell me how terrible the celeron 900 processor in this is if all she will be doing is web browsing, itunes, office, and vpn work?

I know there were other threads about this deal, but they were comparing it to a MBP and clearly it cant compete... all i wanna know is if it will work and last for a few years with the above stated usage...? thanks

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12347224

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well that deal is over so youll probably have to wait until black friday. The computers arent bad. We got my brother one for christmas 2 years ago and it was a Toshibe but all the cheap Black Friday computers are pretty much the same. The computer does fine with itunes, word, internet and some gaming.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Single core Celerons are terrible. Why not to spend some more and get computer which will last longer? Wait for Black Friday though, there might be some great deals then

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'd keep looking. There are plenty of great deals out there, especially going into the holiday season.

Don't get me wrong. All in all, this is a fair deal for what you're getting, but I think you can do better. Look for something with a dual-core and you'll be set. :)

5. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

cool, black friday it is, especially since that deal was yesterday only i guess... id love for her to be able to get the new macbook but its about 2x her current computer budget, so unless someone wants to pay her $400 for her g4 sawtooth :eek: i dont see that happening.

6. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

so I've been looking, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good laptop for web browsing, email, itunes, office, and logging into a vpn for under 450? New only please. Also no netbooks as this will be a primary computer.

7. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

8. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Just keep your eyes peeled for Black Friday ads. Won't be long until your mailbox is full of them.

Also, as a rule, I tend to stay clear of Gateway, Dell, eMachines, Toshiba, Compaq, and even HP in many cases. My experience has been much better with brands like IBM/Lenovo, Asus, and most MSI and Acer machines seem to be alright nowadays. Sometimes spending the extra money can pay off in the long run! :cool:

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

Amazon had a great dell for $300 yesterday, but it sold out in the first minute. Wait for Black Friday, Walmart will have some good Dell/HP deals..