Thoughts on this Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StockDC2, Sep 25, 2013.

1. StockDC2 macrumors regular

I just ordered a Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook with the following specs for $475:

CPU: Intel i7 3517U
    Memory: 8GB
    Hard Drive: 500GB
    GPU: Nvidia 630M
    LCD: 14" 1600x900 Resolution

I have the opportunity to purchase a 13" Retina Macbook Pro for $1300 with the following specs:

CPU: Intel i7 2.9Ghz
    Memory: 8GB
    Hard Drive: 512GB SSD
    LCD: 13.3" Retina

The Macbook also comes with Applecare for 3 years of total warranty.

I realize that the Macbook Pro is a great deal but would the cost/performance be worth it over the Dell? My new laptop will replace my desktop and will be used for Photoshop.

Thanks for any help!

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

There's more to comparing a mac to a Dell than just straight up nuts and bolts. Both will be fine but you'd better buy a couple more of those Dells because 3 of them won't outlast that MBP. (Not an Apple fanatic either - this is just from lots of personal experience).

For PhotoShop, an SSD is crucial IMO. Especially if you're constantly opening 25mb RAW files.

3. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks for the response.

Yeah, the two are definitely different in terms of build quality but I usually only keep my computers for 6 months or so anyway before I upgrade/downgrade based on what deals I can find.

My only concern is that Haswell refreshes are right around the corner and if the rumors on battery life and portability are true, I'm speculating that it will affect the resale value of current gen Macbooks by quite a bit. But then again, this is a speculation on a speculation so you never know :p.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Wow, 6 months is really short. New processors from Intel only come out every year or so.

The SSD alone will make a big difference if you chose the MBP.

5. dankev macrumors newbie

This is absolutely absurd. My primary computer is a nearly 5 year old Dell XPS, and while it is starting to feel a bit old, it's in great working condition.

First, your statement is massive hyperbole. I obviously won't rely on a MBP to last 15 years. Second, there is a lot of difference between Dell lines. The XPS line is much nicer than the Inspiron line, and they'll last longer.

As far as OP's question, I don't know that it can be answered objectively. They both sound like great deals. The screen and SSD will be nicer for photoshop, but I don't know what your budget constraints are, or why you go through computers every 6 months.

6. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I usually go through computers every 6 months (sometimes even sooner) since that tends to be my window where I can make my money back. I've been fortunate enough to break even or make a little on all of my technology purchases.

I've spoken to the MBP seller and he's agreed to lower the price by $100. I might be able to skim a little more when I meet him later today as he sounds extremely flexible. Not sure why he's selling it for so cheap though as it prices out to $2448 + tax on Apple's website. We're meeting at the Apple store where I'll have the computer inspected for any unusual damages.

I'll most likely keep both computers and pass the Dell onto my dad. He's still using a Lenovo running on a Pentium processor :eek:.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Oh boy! I've started a Mac vs. PC fight! :D Are you really (repeat: really) going to compare the build quality of an XPS to a MBP? My friend, I've used 'em all and can play PC vs. Mac poker with you all day long if that's your desire. Does your personal experience trump mine for some mystical reason?

Maybe... just perhaps... I'll take a gander... it's because he keeps buying Dells? :eek:

8. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't say that his experience trumps yours but you even said it yourself, it's his own personal experience. If his own personal experience has been good with Dell, then it's going to affect his views towards their devices.

It's obvious that the build quality is better on the MBP but you're also paying 3 times as much which according to you, works out anyway since you'll need 3 Dells for every Macbook.

This is my first Dell that I've purchased.

9. Rhythmic- macrumors member

Oh, get off your high horse. I don't post here much but lurk enough to see how much of a sarcastic, condescending toolbag you are to others all the time. Piss off once in a while, why don'tcha?

Yeah, that's the best option you can take imo. It's not everyday you can get amazing deals for both those products. If you can get that rMBP deal down to even a grand, wow.

10. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

A grand would be awesome but I don't think that he'd be willing to go THAT low :p. He purchased it in January of this year along with extended warranty which in itself costs $249. If he could do $1100, I'd be ecstatic. I can only hope! Meeting him at the Apple store in an hour. I'll be sure to update the thread.

Wish me luck!

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Even a person obsessed with always having the latest and greatest wouldn't need to switch laptops every 6 months. Definitely sounds crazy.

12. dankev macrumors newbie

You seem to be reading things I didn't write. You stated that a MBP would last 3 times as long as an XPS. I called bs on your claim. I didn't say they were the same.

Nice to chat with you, though. It's been very worthwhile.

13. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

Bought it! It came with the box, manuals, heck, even the original bag. The display is awesome!

I'm off to purchase an Alienware M17X R4. Sigh, Craigslist is killing me.

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Can I ask what the point is of purchasing so many laptops like this?

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Fair enough. But it's rather sad that words from somebody you don't know with a silly moniker on an innerwebz forum can induce this kind of emotion from anyone. Truly sad :(

Cheers!

16. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Good Price

I just upgraded to a 15" MacBook Pro for a very similar price but the 2011 model. And thats the retina. Excellent price. I would definitely go for that.

17. Rhythmic- macrumors member

Well I'm sure you're a different person in real life as opposed to your innerwebzzz persona. I'd be surprised if you talk this way to random people in real life and hadn't gotten your face bashed in yet. ;)

Innerwebzzzz or not this is still a community, and that kind of attitude's not needed here. You can choose to reply in a civil manner and still get your point across.

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Apology accepted.

19. Rhythmic- macrumors member

Don't get me wrong I know I was a bit harsh in that post, and for that (the 'high horse' and 'Piss off' bit) I apologize, but the point still stands: You are a toolbag. Can't apologize for something I'm merely pointing out, ya know?

20. koban4max macrumors 68000

OCD with cool stuff.

21. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I'd like to chime in coz I constantly keep PC/Macs in check.

First of all, Dell also make beast machines (like those 17-18" monstrous Alienwares). But the laptop you purchased is somewhere in the low/medium end -> it won't last long (there will be a few issues here and there in years to come); and secondly, the specs is not that great either. SSD is pricey for a reason. You will boot and open apps much, much faster.

Moreover, the "U" in the Dell's chip suggests that it is a chip for ultrabooks - so the performance is NOT AS GREAT AS normal laptops - it will throttle (slow down) when running heavy tasks so that it doesn't overheat.

In addition, I used to be offered a maxed-out Dell XPS 15 - the premium machine of the XPs line; and although it was a powerful notebook, there was an unrepairable issue - weak wifi signals (which I suspect because of bad designing). You can connect o wifi but it might disconnect every 5 min. And while my ipad got 5 wifi bars, the laptop (which should in theory get stronger signals) only shows 2-3 bars. Very disappointing. So I'm not sure if that relates to your XPS 14.

If you somehow insisted on a Dell notebook, why not consider something like Envy 15t, or DV6T, or DV7, or Spectre, or Alienware 14.

22. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much for the thorough response :D.

The Envy is nice but pricey. The only reason why I purchased the Dell was because of the price; it was $433 before tax which is quite a bit less than the other options you've listed. In regards to the Alienware 14, I had one in the past and it was something that I hated carrying around, let alone taking out at coffee shops.

If the XPS 14 has any of the problems that you've noted, it'll be going straight back to Dell. I mainly purchased it for UX design which shouldn't be too strenuous on the system.

Also, isn't the XPS 14 supposed to be mid/high in Dell's lineup?

23. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

No. A high end laptop that costs less than an iPhone 5C and Galaxy S4 Mini is not in anyway high-end model. I'll put it close to mid-low end considering the cheap laptop nowadays cost around 250-400 and from 400-1000 you can safely ensure it's mid end. From 1000 it might be called high end..

If you like to carry your laptop around then why don't you look at MBA (instead of rMBP 13"). If money is issue then MBA 13" base model is the way to go (which costs like 1099?) when you have a reliable machine that can last for years, beautiful design, extremely thin and light, good specs, amazing battery life of 12h (if you need to work outdoor then it's a big plus) and of course Apple's superior after-sale services.

P.S. I just realised you need to use Photoshop, then it's better to consider rMBP 13" (256GB) for the retina screen AND a hard drive 2TB for $100.