Thoughts on this MBP price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Queen of Spades, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

My sister is interested in getting a mac, so I've been looking around for at some deals on used ones. She's not interested in a 13" anything, and with tax and all the new ones would be $1700+, so new is not really what we're looking for.

I found an excellent condition 2.4Ghz Unibody MBP in the box with an incase sleeve for $1200. Still has 9 months warranty left, it's stock.

I'm thinking it's a good deal since the refurbs are $1349 in the Apple Store (which is still a good deal, imo). What do you guys think? I just figured I would get some input before I go for it.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Go for the refurbished models. They're a steal compared to the new models.

3. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I just seen an unopened macbook pro 2009 model on craigslist for 1300. He was a legit seller, to bad i need the 13" more than the 15".

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Having sold my Early 2008 15" MBP for $1200 - I can say that is a good deal given that there are no caveats.

5. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

They're a good deal, but with tax they come out to $1416.50 where I am, which is a good $215 more expensive.

Still mulling, though.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9600M GT, FireWire 800, and the 15.4" screen are well worth it over a Unibody MacBook.

Not to mention it's just like new and so is the warranty.

7. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

The used one for $1200 I'm looking at is a Unibody MacBook Pro - it has all that stuff - 9600GT, firewire, etc. etc. I think you might be thinking I was talking about a different model.

Basically it's the same exactly model as a refurb from Apple for $1349. Anyway, I think I've decided it's a good deal. I'm going to arrange a pick-up.

8. duky macrumors 6502

If I'm understanding correctly, the only advantage I can see the refurbished model having is the 12 months warranty over the 9 months. At $200+ more I'd say go for the used one--just make sure to inspect it thoroughly and make sure it's in great condition/comes with all of the accessories. This way you don't run the risk of getting a scratched up refurb or anything (though this is unlikely I think)--you know exactly what you're getting. In many ways the resale value of the used one is even higher than a refurb one because you'll have all the original (fancy) packaging and accessories (I am always thinking resale value because I rarely keep my computers more than 5/6 mths at a time).

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is my advice also; you get Apple's warranties and guarantees and the knowledge that everything is completely legit.

However, while the deal you write about is a good deal, I'd still recommend the refurb.

Cheers and good luck

10. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Make sure you get a copy of the receipt, for proof of warrantee transfer....