Thoughts on TimeCapsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tnsxsear, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tnsxsear macrumors member

So what are everyones thoughts on TimeCapsule? I was actually in the market for an external HD to use with Leopard and a new wireless router. Now that TimeCapsule has come out, its all in one. $300 for the 500gb and $500 for 1TB.

2. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

I'm trying to find out if it will have better transfer rates than what my current Airport Extreme/External HD will do.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Time capsule is great for consumers who didn't rush out any buy their own AEBS and 500 GB USB HD last April in anticipation of the June Leopard release, and who, 6 months later, have found the AEBS and Time Machine compatibility purposefully crippled.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think it's great. And given the previous cost of the AEBS, and current cost of hard drives, I think it's very well priced.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As long as its not simply an AEBS + a hard drive stuck inside. That combination is flaky at best.

6. Matiek macrumors member

I'm pleased with the prices. I'll be picking up a 1 tb unit.

7. atthecross macrumors 6502

yeah, very tempting. My WG54 keeps dropping and this would be a good excuse to upgrade. And the plus would be that I won't have to hear my current backup drive spin up, as the TC would be in another room in a closet

8. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

Maybe a lawsuit for false advertisement will force some sort of consolidation or update for users that got shafted. I know, I know, there's people that feel shafted because they buy stuff.. and new stuff comes out, but now that this TimeCapsule product came out, it's pretty clear they used Time Machine for a time to boost AEBS sales and then they dropped it and support in favor of a new product.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

How did Time Machine boost sales of the previous AEBS? If anything, it boosted sales of external hard drives. The only conclusion that seems reasonable is that Apple purposely left out the feature to use TM with a network drive because this product was coming down the line.

10. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

I think its quite beautiful and Cool that it is two things in one.

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

It did in my case. I had a router, but bought a AEBS:n to use with TM specifically. Otherwise I didn't need the AEBS. I have a 1 TB MyBook I wanted to use with it. When Leopard came out they disabled the functionality and reworded their marketing materials to match. I am still very pissed off about it. I don't have the functionality that led me to purchase the AEBS and I've now spent more than what the 1 TB TC costs.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would really like to have one. I've been thinking about getting an Airport Extreme, but I never got around to paying the money for it. Now that we have TimeCapsule, for $299 it is an Airport Extreme + 500GB external hard drive... sounds like a good deal to me.

13. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

the question i have is this:
    can time capsule just be used as a wireless HD or do you HAVE to use it with TM. I make a fully bootable copy of my computer with carbon copy cloner, that is what works for me. so if i buy a time capsule can i just use it to store other things. photos come to mind, i shoot a lot of images for clients and would like to have a backup done wirelessly in addition to on archival DVD. also can you use time capsule without leopard, i really dont see the point in buying it yet.

would love some answers:confused:

Chris

14. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

For me, the big selling point is knowing that because it is made by Apple it will (or maybe should?) be extremely simple and efficient to the other options out there.

15. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I think it's a great idea, but would like to see some tests in various scenerios.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

From the Time Capsule web page, looks like it works as just an HD. Wonder how they stop Time Machine from filling the entire thing up, leaving zero free space for your other files?

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/wireless.html

17. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

My question is, for the initial backup, will you be able to plug your mac into the router so the backup doesn't take all night (as Apple advertised earlier today on their site).

18. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Needs Airtunes. :rolleyes:

Also I just bought a big fat external hard drive; so it came too late for me. Else I'd have been in. :(

SL

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

If your Mac has a gigabit ethernet port, you could connect directly to the Time Capsule via a CAT5 cable.

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Thanks for the quick response, this just popped into my mind when watching the keynote and viewing the online page. Not that I plan on buying it though, as I have a great external HDD right now and the only time that I am away from my HDD is when I go to school so it wouldn't be of a help anyway, now if Apple could find a way to get the backups to sync to it from other locations then they would have one hell of a product.

21. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Maybe we should include Stacks in the suit :cool:

22. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I think it's a great product. I just hope that it doesn't still cost $500 eight months from now when the price of 1TB drives is half what they cost now.

23. bxs macrumors 6502

Now that's cruel. People who did that were only following through with what Apple promised but took away at the 11th hour prior to Oct 26, 2007. IMO Apple owes these people regardless of their fine small print that read "Apple reserves the right to change" or some similar wording.

I was beta testing this feature for Apple up to around 1 week prior to the Leopard GM and I was one very angry Apple fan.

24. bxs macrumors 6502

It boosted AEBS sales prior to Leopard GM release on Oct 26, 2007.