Thoughts on Universities/Colleges in the United States

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by conch575, Jul 17, 2011.

1. conch575, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Hi,

I'm going on exchange to a University from Australia to the United States next year and I'm currently in the midst of choosing a Uni to exchange to.

I've been given a few choices;
    • California State University, Sacramento
    • San Francisco State University
    • University of Miami
    • or State University of New York at New Paltz

I'm studying Journalism and I want the WHOLE American College experience, just like you see in the movies. Has anyone studied at these places? I'm really excited, and I don't know where to choose!

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

while i don't know what you see in the movies, remember, they're movies for a reason...

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

well in terms of cities....San Francisco would be where I would like to study.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Miami would be the closest to Sydney. San Francisco is also on the coast, but the climate is quite different and not really a "beach" city. Sacramento is nice but certainly not the city I'd like to spend my year abroad in. New Pfalz will look like your stereotypical American college during the fall and late spring, but the rest of the school year you will need to shovel snow quite frequently. I don't know if that's a good or bad point for you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your year in the States.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I have friends going to newpaults, I hear there are parties and such but it's a 2hr ride into the city (manhattan), and in the winter snow is a Huge problem not for classes and such but for everything else. Also remember the movies don't portray things as accurately as they really are. It's all possible but I'm sure as an exchange student the "rules" are even more strict for you as they are for regular students. It won't help you to get in trouble, if the school is a party school usually it means on campus they don't care or just don't check. You can find this out about a school by going on google, or certain books with student testimonies. And remember the drinking age here is 21 even if you come I'm a different country it won't matter.

6. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

I would probably want to go to a place with a warmer climate, I'm not very good with the cold haha.. Oh I would have just turned 19 when I go over, sucks that the drinking age is 21!

7. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

None of those universities have a strong program for journalism, so any of those options will work the same.
    If you mean the WHOLE experience you've seen in movies and you men the fraternities, beer parties, yu may want to check what fraternities are in each school and google them.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Dude winter time is fun with skiing!

9. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

That sucks, they're the only Uni's my home University is offering Journalism students to transfer to =\

Oh I love skiing :D But c'mon, the beach is pretty awesome too.. I have a fear that as soon as I step foot in the US I'll get mega fat though haha.

10. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

:rolleyes: Really..? You're the only person standing in the way of staying healthy. My experience with internationals and weight has been mixed, some *really* splurged on the burgers and gained, others couldn't care for the food at all and lost weight. Either way, the vast majority saw no difference. ;)

Re your choice in schools, everyone I know from San Francisco are completely in love with "the City," and although the weather there isn't great, it's not too cold either, so without knowing much about the specifics of either of those schools, that'd be my suggestion just based on cities. (Again just by stereotypes, Sacramento is supposedly pretty dull...)