Thoughts On Upgrading A New UMBP to 10.5.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harcosparky, May 28, 2009.

1. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have a relatively new ( 3 weeks ) UMBP and I have not updated it.

I have to wonder, after reading of some of the issues with 10.5.7, is there a better way to do the upgrade.

Example: Do a fresh install of OSX, then do the upgrade, then reinstall all the software programs.

I know for many this may be a nightmare, but in my case not too bad.

Maybe doing a fresh install of 10.5.7, I think you can download it integrated. ( if that is the right word )

I'd like to be " up to date " , but at this point I am not experiencing any problems and see no need to update.

This thought came to mind from past experiences with another OS ( Windows ) I used to use, where updates always screwed up something like drivers and such? Hell just doing a Windows Update for the OS will destroy the one and only Windows box I have here.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont think that you have anything to worry about. remember people only write about their problems. i bet 99% of people on this site who have upgraded have not had a problem.

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

No problems

In over 3 macs I have yet to experience any problems using their update service, including the uMBP to 10.5.7

4. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

A wait and see stance is very acceptable when it comes to updates when it involves a main resource. I have installed the 10.5.7 combo update on one of my lab machines and saw no problems. But with my daily workhorse UMBP which is running great, I thought that there was no reason to update. I may even wait until SnowLeopard comes out to touch the OS.

Neil

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have never had a problem with an update or with using Software Update

I would say most issues are caused by non-compliant 3rd party software or by some previous user modification to the system

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

+1 to everyone who said they updated without any problems AND the suggestion that people tend to only post about problems, not successes, so counting all the problem installs isn't an accurate representation of how "good" something is.

And by the way, I shuddered when you compared Windows with Mac OS. ;) I have had extensive experience with Windows so I understand where you are coming from. It took me a little while, too, to realize how delightfully different the two are in terms of performance and frequency of problems.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I just updated a new MBP with no problem.

I've never, ever had an OS update problem. Two tips for success that I follow:

1.) Always run a Disk Utility check first for any disk errors.
    2.) Download the combo update and run that instead of the version specific update.

8. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Bought my UMBP 17 on April 13 and upgraded to 10.5.7 with zero problems. In fact, it idles cooler than at 10.5.6.

Don't know why I upgraded, but I saw no reason not to :)

Tom

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had no problems installing the update and my unibody (2.53GHz) MBP has not shown any problems since updating it (nor did it beforehand).

10. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I only think a few people have had problems, so you should be fine. Go for it.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Only problem I had was the installer hung on shutdown.. was left with a blue screen stuck in an infinite loop.

Makes your heart skip a beat.

12. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I had the same issue. I went and got a diet coke from the kitchen, came back, and it was back to normal.

Advice: Diet Coke fixes it ;)

13. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my UMBP and did not have any issues what-so-ever! I think mine actually runs cooler too. It barely feels slightly warm to the touch now.

14. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I upgraded and my uMBP runs warmer, but also feels a little bit faster.

15. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i had a flawless upgrade. dont believe the hype. a simple software update is nothing to worry about.

16. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i upgraded my second/scartch back up of my uMBP17 and havent had any issues...everything seemed fine as far as I was a ware.

the only issue with 10.5.7 ive had is with a uMBP15 from work I use.
    the items in my shared column in the left side of Finder are not right or some dont even show up.

For example; a relative using a 13" on 10.5.7 sees the uMBP17 icon and system in the left side.
    the 15" uMBP under 10.5.6 and under sees the icon as the classic MBP17 and upgraded to 105.7 no icon is displayed at all.
    so there must be something wrong with the cache of icons or osmething?
    sometimes my Basestation doesnt show an icon or is shown as an ACD icon... i can still connect to them just its an icon issue.
    this only happens on the 15" the 17" sees all icons properly, all devices, computers and BaseStations.

not sure what the deal is but I guess it shouldnt be a huge deal.

17. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

I've ALWAYS installed Software Updates pretty much the day they become available. I've NEVER had any problems.

EDIT: Touch wood!!

18. philips macrumors regular

philips

I understand your feelings. But with Mac OS X my personal experience breakage happens rarely and generally fixed relatively fast. In Mac OS 10.3 times, IIRC, two updates broke some stuff. First time I haven't noticed anything because I was updating bit later and update was already "updated". Second time a problem persisted for few days then Software Update popped-up telling that there are some updates. After installation the problem was gone.

The whole point of Macs (and Apple business model) that you get vertically integrated system: hardware, firmware, OS and software - all to larger extent are controlled by Apple. Limited number of configurations means that Apple can test 95+% of configurations beforehand, so you do not have to be in a seat of alpha tester.

P.S. Generally if Mac OS X update break something, you would read about it all over the net. Nobody would miss the chance.

19. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I updated to 10.5.7 the same day it was released. No problems what so ever. I'll vote for upgrading. :)

20. sputacus macrumors regular

Updated my 3 mo. old MBP to 10.5.7 via software update without any problems. For peace of mind, I keep an up-to-date clone of my system, just in case...

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...no problems on my iMac with 10.5.6 and this came from 10.5.2 as a prev gen 20" iMac the day I set it up...