Thoughts on upgrading parts on my MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mousouchop, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mousouchop, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hey all,

Have had my MBP since it's release in June 2009 (MBP 5,3: 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD)... Seeing as I haven't had a single problem with it, and it can still handle everything I throw at it (no longer game on it, just programming and web surfing in the evening), I am thinking of just upgrading anything that could be.

Upgrade Plan:
    500GB Boot Drive -> 120GB SSD Boot Drive
    Optical Drive -> 1TB Secondary Drive
    4GB RAM -> 8GB RAM

Priced it out on OWC and it cam to around 550$. Was thinking it would have only been around 350$, is it worth it at 550$?

Thinking between the RAM and the SSD I should be free of beach balls for another couple of years, no? Anyone else do these upgrades and see pretty nice gains?

I will probably get enclosures for the old HD and optical drive too.

EDIT: I know there are a ton of threads like this... but it's nice to discuss things with people. This is after all a forum, meant for discussions. haha.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't be $550...

120GB SDD is $200
    1TB HDD is around $100
    OWC DataDoubler is $80
    8GB RAM is $50(can be had for like $35, but let's just say $50)

So it should be right around $430, say $450 to include shipping.

3. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I was toying with getting the OWC Mercury Extreme rather than the Mercury Electra, which adds another 80$. I don't know much about the finer technicalities of SSDs. Just figured I would read up before buying. You have any insight?

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

OWC is more than a little over priced, the whole "Mac tested, Mac approved" thing or whatever means nothing, well, it means they charge more.

head over to newegg.com

For the SDD, if you want reliability go with a Samsung 470, if you want speed go with a OCZ Vertex 2 or 3. Most will say since your MacBook only has SATA2 to get the Vertex 2, but I feel that for the extra $50 it's worth it to get the next gen Vertex 3(it's still under $200).

Then get a Samsung 1TB HDD.

And take your pick of RAM that matches your machines specs, RAM is more or less a commodity so there's no reason to buy expensive RAM, it isn't better it's just more expensive.

For the optibay I do think the the OWC data doubler is the way to go.

5. Woodbags macrumors newbie

I've got a similar machine (mid 09, 2.5Ghz, 8Gb RAM).

How easy is it to switch out the optical drive for another HDD? I never use my optical drive any more and the extra space would really come in handy.

6. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

The Data Doubler from OWC seems to be a largely pain-free conversion solution. They have videos linked on the product page that show you the installation process step-by-step.

I also don't use my optical drive ever. Though I may grab an external one just for good measure... as the "IT guy" for all of my friends and family, I should at least have one on hand.