thoughts on usb hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by halfmonkey, Jun 2, 2011.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I am interested in this usb hub http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=149 and was wondering if anybody has it and can offer their thoughts and opinions on it. I have an iMac and I'd like to connect the usb hub to make it easier to manage the cables to and from the usb connector on the iMac. Rather than having all of the cables running to the back and looking messy, I'd like to use the hub and be able to put it out of sight and just have one cable going to the iMac. Also, it allows me to more easily connect and disconnect items instead of having to reach in the back of the iMac. Instead, I can just place the hub somewhere that's easily accessible to connect and disconnect my perihperals.

If anyboyd has used this hub or the 4 slot hub from d-link, have you had any problems with it such as the iMac not waking properly or not sleeping properly and anything else that you might be experiencing.

Also, can anybody tell me if the hub is always on? I know that it's plugged in with a a/c adaptor but let's say you have items plugged into a few slots even though they're not on such as printers, is the hub on or does it turn "off" if no activity is detected through the plug after like 30 minutes or so?

I'd hate for the hub to be on 24/7. That would seem like a total power vampire continually sucking power even when not used and needed.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

most powered hubs don't have to be plugged in, if you are using externally powered devices (things that have their own power cord, like a printer) you don't need it. The power cord is only there if you are using bus-powered devices (gets it power over the USB connection, like an iPhone, or a hard drive without a power plug).

you can probably get away with one (maybe 2) bus-powered devices without plugging it in, as it will get it's power from your computer. it just depends what it is, and how much power it draws.

the hub itself gets its power from the computer.