Thoughts on Wi-Fi only iPad and using MyWi or other tethering app for 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by znewton, Feb 16, 2011.

1. znewton macrumors newbie

I'm aware that there are tons of threads on whether to get a 3G or Wi-Fi only iPad. I just read through one of the threads below debating this and wanted to get some feedback.

I have a Jailbroken iPhone 4 and bought MyWi a few months ago. I don't use it all the time but it sure is nice to have when my MBP cannot find a wireless network.

I plan on buying the iPad 2 once it is released and initially I was SURE that I wanted to get the 3G model so that in the event that I was left without a Wi-Fi network that I would at least have the option there. Now that I have MyWi on my iPhone I'm leaning towards getting the Wi-Fi only model but my issue here is with the battery life on the iPhone. MyWi drains the iPhones battery rather quickly as most of you know who have ever used it. I was thinking that I could just plug my phone into the iPad to charge it but not being an iPad user I don't even know if that works (I assume it would with regular iPad charging cable). If that does work how quickly do you think that iPads battery would be drained by my phone?

I'd appreciate any feedback from you guys! I've been an avid reader of the forums but this is my first official thread I've made on here :) Hoping to not get flamed for asking questions that have already been answered and told to use the Search feature :D

Zach

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I have a Wifi iPad along with MyWi on my 3GS and I wouldnt have it any other way. I don't use my iPad on the go enough to warrant a monthly bill. Maybe a couple hundred mega at the most. Perfect solution if you ask me...

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, no you can't charge your iPhone via the iPad. But the iPad charger can charge both devices. It will charge the phone quicker as well than the standard iPhone charger.

3. chrishemley823 macrumors newbie

Look at MyWi's new tethering to iOS devices feature. MyWi OnDemand.

4. svenn macrumors 6502

As stated, you can use either charger to charge from an outlet or usb port, but you cannot plug them into each other; it's physically impossible. You would need a cable with Apple's 30-pin connector on both ends, which Apple does not make (although you may be able to find from some bootleg manuf)

If you only have one charger and have to tether for extended periods of time, I would just swap them once in a while. No need for that extra ipad data bill!

5. znewton thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe you just sold me on the Wi-Fi model by letting me know about the updated MyWi! Just read a thread all about it and users' experiences and this is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank you very much :)

6. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Just Keep iPhone plugged in a wall charger while tethering to iPad. People do this anyways when on a laptop so why not.

7. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Only a fool these days would have separate data plans on their phone and iPad if MyFi-like tethering is available.

8. Phil A., Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I got a WiFi only iPad and initially tethered it to a MiFi device. However, iOS 4.3 includes 2 ways of tethering the iPad to a phone without the need for jailbreaking: the well publicised personal WiFi hotspot on the iPhone and also the iPad will support Bluetooth PAN tethering to any phone that offers it.
    With those options, I can't think of a good reason to pay an extra £100 + another monthly fee to have a 3G iPad...

You can actually connect an iPhone to an iPad using the camera connection kit and a standard cable. The iPad won't charge the iPhone though...

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

This is the method I use. I was completely set on a 3G iPad. However, after JBing my iPhone 4 I found MyWi. I tried it out with my girlfriends wifi iPad before buying mine. In the end, I was able to spend the extra money I was going to spend on the 3G to get a 32gb wifi model, instead of the 16.

I am crazy about keeping my phone charged. MyWi will drain the battery quickly, but I keep a charger at home, at work, and in my car.

One thing I realized is that I don't use the Internet connection as much as I thought I would. A lot of apps (Zinio for example) allow you to download the media while at home, which you can then access on the go.

Overall, I am very pleased with the MyWi setup, glad I saved the $130 (+monthly fees) by not going with the 3G.

Sorry for the long winded post, hopefully it helps :)

10. RenoG macrumors 65816

Its the only reason I JB'ed my iphone, for Myfi. I have only one internet bill coming to my house and its 30 bucks. No more hard wired internet for me, been that way for almost a year now.

11. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I have a 3G iPad because i wanted the gps chip but have not signed up for a data plan. I use a tethering app on my personal iPhone or my work droid on a regular basis.

I typically have the phone plugged in when I am running the tethering app if a plug in is available.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Will the mobile hotspot feature coming to the iPhone come to the iPad as well? Seeing as how the data plan n the iPad is pay as you, if it is I would rather do this than get a separate contract with the myfi.