Thoughts on your 2018 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxray, Nov 8, 2018.

1. xxray macrumors 6502a

Worth it? Pros and cons? Anything you'd change?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Love its speed and screen (13", 2018) but the touch bar is such a liability. I have had more lockups with this system than any Mac i've owned. Mostly seems that the Touch Bar becomes unresponsive, and then i have to hard reboot. I've been using Macs exclusively since 2000, and this is by far the least reliable computer. Crashes about once every 2 weeks.

3. leman macrumors G3

Best computer I've ever used. I'd like to have an option of slightly faster GPU, which is apparently being released next week, so I'm happy. Other than that, can't think of anything to criticise.

4. Trolle macrumors member

Trolle

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is that good or bad.

6. SDColorado macrumors 68020

SDColorado

I like mine just fine ... now that I have returned all 4 :)

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Very pleased with it. Especially since I saved $350 and no tax through Adorama (B&H did the same shortly after I ordered it from Adorama)

8. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

9. Marketh macrumors member

Marketh

Love mine - Ordered shortly after they were released and not had one problem.

10. Trolle macrumors member

Trolle

It handles everything I can throw at it. Top it off with the AMD graphics coming up, is gonna make this thing really shine.

11. littlepud macrumors regular

littlepud

The 15” is a great machine but I’m wondering if I should have gone with 13” + eGPU.

12. cynics macrumors G4

I feel its worth its additional expense over the rest of the MacBook line due its display tech and CPU options that would couple nicely with an eGPU should the need arise. I plan on picking up a 13" w/ touch bar. Not sure if I'm going to add RAM or storage yet, my current workload is very basic.

Not a bad idea to wait until after Nov 14th when they add Vega though just to make sure nothing else is updated and prices are effected on non Vega models. I doubt they will but its only a few days away so...

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Weird. Mine's been rock solid. You sound like you should get yours checked out at an Apple store.

14. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

I don't own a Mac Book Pro but the 13" touchbar its still a compelling upgrade to the new Mac Book Air.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pretty pleased with it. The keyboard is not the best, but it has a fantastic battery, performance is great and the screen is gorgeous. My biggest concern is how sturdy the keyboard is

16. vaugha macrumors 6502

Did you have a keyboard failure so far?

17. LogicalApex macrumors regular

So far, mine has been great! I did have one replacement early on due to the USB C port dying, but I'll chalk that up to a fluke.

Otherwise been great and no KB issues or Kernel Panics or anything of that nature.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not yet but unlike my older MBP this feels less solid

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Nah, well known issues with this generation.

20. linguistrick macrumors newbie

linguistrick

Holy smokes. I juuuuuust got the base Mid 2018 MacBook Pro i7 256GB 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 - bought it at Best Buy, which had a $250 discount through this Sunday. Paid for the taxes. This thing is a beauty! I'm in love.

21. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Very solid machine so far (knocking on wood). It should be noted that several users have experienced critical issues, especially early on, but for me it was the least problematic release since the 2016 redesign.

22. tamara6 macrumors regular

I'm pretty happy with mine. I've had it a month and I've had no problems thus far. My only pseudo-regret is that maybe I should have gotten silver and not space gray. It's really a nifty machine - I'm glad I got it.

23. PROFESS0R macrumors newbie

32Gb i9 4Tb has been flawless so far. Not a single issue with it at all, and I use a multiple core analytical program that has the fans running at what seems to be full speed quite frequently. Rock solid, but admittedly, this is only after a few weeks of everyday use.

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm happy with my 15" MBP. I wish it ran a little cooler, but that will come once Intel finally goes to 10nm CPUs.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically your 2018 MBP will not run cooler, regardless of what Intel releases ;)

Mine is running fairly cool and I'm happy, the secondary update seemed to straighten all that out for me. I will be the first to admit I don't push my MBP terribly hard.