Thoughts, Suggestions, Concerns. Music Poster.

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by Creative One, May 25, 2009.

1. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Hi all,

Doing a school poster for music in class.. We right a press release, poster, cd cover, and all, then we lip-sync the song and video tape it/edit for iMovie. I would like some peoples thought's and suggestions on my creation of it. I've silhouetted us, and then put a gradient behind, as well as some text overtop... I'd like some suggestions, as well as some examples.

PSD - http://rapidshare.com/files/237251455/Poster___Not_finished_.psd.zip.html

[​IMG]

PS: The edges on us have since been fixed.

EDIT- Awkward legs have been fixed, middle guys shoulders have been smoothed.

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

3. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

This is just my un-professional personal opinion, it doesn't just "stand out" to me, like it doesn't catch my eye, maybe if you used some colors that stood out a little more, but honestly if I walked past it in a hall way or on the street, I'd probably just blow right by it without even seeing it, it could just be me, but that's what I think, it looks nice and all, but if it's supposed to be a poster, it just doesn't draw my attention like a poster should!

5. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

If it were your's what would your colour choice be? Were singing What is love; Haddaway... Ideas for a whole different poster?

6. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I would clean up the edges on the silhouettes, for one. I'd also make it less dark, and change the font to something clearer. Nothing about this poster tells me that music is involved in any way.

I see 3 dudes, and some words that only state that it's some sort of live event at the Apollo. Think if over, and focus on it as if you had no clue what was going on, except by what was shown on the poster that caught your eye in passing. :)

Good first effort!

7. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I like it....but I do have a few suggestions...

the words "at the" should be lowercase and on its own line in a smaller font size...
    The word "apollo" should have its own line
    of course a real poster would have date and time of the event along with ticket price and other info...look at a real poster and take a few ideas from that.

also the band name should have a splash of color or a logo to make it stand out

hope this helps!

8. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I might mess around with this tomorrow and post what I come up with.

It's late and I'm too tired right now. But everything rhythmac said is right on the money. A good poster design, or any design for that matter, relies heavily on effective use of hierarchy of text. You want to emphasize the most important information and make it stand out. Having everything in the same font, in similar sizes just makes it all blend together. You want to lead the viewers eyes down to the smaller, detailed info. It's all about the hook, so make a logo for Haddaway that pops (he never had the greatest promo stuff, says google images) and make the other text secondary. I'll try and give an example or two tomorrow.

Mike

9. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I agree. The font looks too "egyptian". The poster is trying to portray modern, "break from society", but at the same time is "dark". The font should be more modern, bolder, and dark.

I kind of like this one:

http://www.dafont.com/evil-dead-army-of-d.font

10. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Needs something to pop out and make me notice, if I saw that poster I prob wouldn't even notice it, just trying to give some constructive criticism.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Lose the Gradient

Downloading the PSD: but before I get it some questions,
    What size are you printing on? Have you taken bleed into account?

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I like it just the way it is...

But, different people have different tastes.

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I see, it's A4. Unless you have access to a borderless printer, design it with a white border in mind.

14. oseven macrumors member

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Sorry for the needless bump, but I thought this imagery might help in the font category as a starting off point.

Attached Files:

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Haha, I see we inversed which words we thought were important :p

Which strengthens the OP's need for typography. ;)

17. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

I can do A4 and A6 at school, as well as 12x18. At home, we can do everything (thanks to my parents owning a printing business.) ... I'm in love with the one by oseven.. Although I am putting the date in (Wednesday June 16 1992) so could I get the psd for your's oseven?

If so, thank you!

Also, I would like to personally thank each one of you for your supportive criticism, and suggestions throughout. Thanks!

Also, my group really liked a brighter gradient (Oj & Green; REALLY :p)

Webers.

18. idesign245 macrumors 6502

shouldn't this be in the design forum?

And isn't this a school project? Seems kind of wrong to use a poster that someone else designed...

19. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I agree. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

20. oseven macrumors member

Sorry man, they're right. If it's your school work you need to do it yourself...that's why I only posted a png not the psd.
    Good luck with it though! You'll thank us when you're a wiz with photoshop ;)