thousands of duplicates in Aperture 3 - help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by guy curlewis, Jan 30, 2011.

1. guy curlewis macrumors member

I have recently got aperture 3 and have moved an old iphoto 6 library and and a load of photos from a windows laptop

I now have thousands of duplicates in aperture.

Some are low res thumbnails and others are just duplications.

with a lot of them the filenames are different so cant just compare and delete there.

Anyone know of a solution that might help me

Thanks

Guy

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Do all of the photos have correct date and time EXIF data? If so Aperture can auto-stack photos within a given time. That way you can simply open each stack and delete the photos you don't want.

3. carlgo macrumors 68000

Sure, you can delete them more easily in stacks or by lining them up by date, but why is this? Can it be prevented? Is there some "Delete all duplicates" hidden trick?

This is taking me many hours and I sure don't think it is a feature, if you know what I mean.

4. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Aperture doesn't have a 'remove duplicates" feature (which is kind of a shame) but even if it did it probably wouldn't work on removing thumbnail versions.

But auto-stacking should be able to at least help a little, although you still would have to delete the duplicates manually it would at least be cleaned up a little.