Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrapin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I don't understand why this real simple program I wrote isn't working. I'm literally just adding a tab in front of a sentence.

I attached the file to this post.

thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 8.56.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 8.56.41 PM.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 2,483

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You clicked in the margin and created a breakpoint. (the blue thing). That makes execution stop there when you build and debug.

Clear it and get on with your life, but take some time to read the docs to learn about how to use breakpoints, they are an indispensable debugging tool.

B

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
You set a breakpoint. The debugger stopped execution at the breakpoint. You can right-click in the lefthand bar and choose to clear the breakpoint. Just left clicking may clear it, too.

Do you need such a powerful IDE for this kind of program? The terminal, a text editor, and gcc might treat you better.

-Lee

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Do you realize that you have a breakpoint set on the first line of main()?

Do you understand what a breakpoint is?

Do you know what the breakpoint-state button in the toolbar is for?

If you don't want the breakpoint, remove it.

If you want to keep the breakpoint but disable it, use the breakpoint-state button in the toolbar (it's the one labeled Breakpoints).

I suspect you should read the Xcode User Guide regarding what breakpoints are, and how they are set (or removed).

See the "Manage Breakpoints" heading of the Xcode 4 User Guide:
http://developer.apple.com/library/...tual/Xcode4UserGuide/Debugging/Debugging.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.