Thread #101 Apple SSD vs OCZ

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jhingha, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

I just wanted to order my MBP (E2011) but I can't really decide wether to choose for the SSD :apple: provides. or the SSD from OCZ.(for instance)

I'm afraid I'm gonna screw it up with changing it, or losing guarantee. or other troubles.

Is it really worth the bucks choosing an third party SSD like OCZ?

And if u say yes.

Any reason to get a 7200RPM or 5400RPM HDD? maybe for backup later, so u can put a HDDcase arround it.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Changing the HD is super easy. If you can hold a screwdriver, you can do it. How much is the upgrade price for Apple SSD? OCZ is definitely faster but may not be worth it if it's only a few bucks cheaper (SF based drives have had issues).

If you get 3rd party SSD, just get the stock 5400rpm HD.

3. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

Hell hammer is right, switching hard drives is very easy. However with apple dropping their prices on their own ssd offerings it might be worth the peace of mind to have the sdd covered under the same warranty as the laptop, especially so if you don't need the additional boost a sf-2000 controller would give you over the already speedy apple ssd.
    Posted from my phone so please excuse any errors. Congrats on your new apple computer!

4. Kai.Def macrumors newbie

Kai.Def

@ Hellhammer

I am waiting on the vertex 3 from OCZ - am I right in assuming best practice th SSD goes into the regular HD space
    HD 7200 500GB into the optical drive space?

regards

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, that is the recommended way. Also, the HD bay in 2011 MBPs is 6Gb/s but the ODD bay is only 3Gb/s so you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of Vertex 3 in the ODD bay.

6. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

That seems to be the only way to utilize the sata 3 connector on the 2011 macbook pro, future firmware update pending. Moving your hard drive to the odd spot eliminates hdd protection from drops though. Be wary

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

1) Can someone explain what exactly the "hibernation" issue is with OWC or OCZ (or any non-Apple) SSDs to this newbie to SSDs?

It seems a no brainer to self-install an SSD as it is much cheaper when you account for the fact that you get to keep the HDD that Apple installed (vs the upgrade by Apple where they don't let you keep the HDD).

BUT- is the hibernation issue a real problem?

2) Apple seems to only allow TRIM on its own SSDs, from what I read about 10.7 Lion. Now I know that OWC has its own garbage collection thing, but is the fact that there is already some sort of incompatibility (ie the TRIM thing) concerning once 10.7 comes out? Will there be other issues with self-installed SSDs? Is lack of TRIM a big deal?

Thanks

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

1) when you hibernate a mac its saves RAM data to the HD and powers down. When it wakes from hibernation to recover this data, it cannot and crashes. You then have to restart the mac.

2) TRIMS does help performance and increase drive life. it is a big deal but not a deal breaker given that so many mbp owners have ssds and are willing to accept the performance hit.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not that big deal anymore because firmwares are much better and they handle the garbage collection. MacWorld performed a torture test on MBA's SSD which does not have TRIM support and its performance did not degrade at all. It was a bigger issue with older SSDs which degraded pretty fast but a lot has happened in the SSD world since that. With a good firmware, TRIM is not necessary.

10. dxerboy, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

dxerboy macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as the OP and I believe my questions are pertinent (don't want to hijack) found a few threads while searching, still not clear.:

1. Do all 3rd party SSDs have the hibernation issue?

2. Ppl here have said that 3rd party SSDs are faster than Apple's (I've read "apple's are rubbish" - yes, grain of salt with that one), but isn't TRIM a performance (i.e. speed) enhancer? Like some kind of efficient garbage collection? If TRIM so great then why are apple's SSDs deemed middle-of-the-road at best?

I'm probably over thinking it and either option would seem snappy and fine for my uses, but I am a little leery about the hibernation thing...

Aha this was my hunch (posted at the same time as my question above, thanks).

Still that hibernation thing tho...

11. rdrnr macrumors newbie

I went with the 13" Macbook Pro and 128 SSD from Apple. Ready to go when I receive it and if anything goes wrong Apple will take care of it. I think the SSD will make a big difference in the operation of the Macbook and don't think buying aftermarket will add much more. For a bit extra $ I have less to worry about.

12. scmarcos macrumors member

I can't believe that the hybernation doesn't work with non-mac SSD!!!!

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's only an issue with SandForce based drives. OWC sells drives with older firmware that does not suffer from this hibernation issue.

14. scmarcos macrumors member

Do you know if new SSD like vertex 3 will have the same problem?

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I guess we will have to wait and see. They will definitely use different firmware so hopefully OCZ has addressed this issue.