Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evamoree

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
It isn't thread bumping, it is just a way to word my confusion/question without making the subject too long.

How long is too long to reply to a thread? I really like helping the forum but don't want to get banned for replying to something with help to the problem the user was having that was maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

The rules don't give a set amount of time and do not even state if its against the rules really (they only state saying something in a thread with intent to try to get a reply to it is an offence) so I am confused whether it is allowed or not. I've only been replying to threads with users who have had their account for at least a few months but I don't want to get banned for doing so.

I sent this in an email too but did not realise there was a forum section for things like this.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
There is no time limit on replying to old threads. It looks suspicious when a user replies to really old threads with no relevant information though. As long as you're contributing in a useful and positive way to a thread, regardless of how old it is, there shouldn't be any problems.

evamoree

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
There is no time limit on replying to old threads. It looks suspicious when a user replies to really old threads with no relevant information though. As long as you're contributing in a useful and positive way to a thread, regardless of how old it is, there shouldn't be any problems.

I wrote a reply on this. Would my reply be considered to be useful or is it an unnecessary reply? It does give information but then again the first part of my reply may be obvious to others.

evamoree

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2016
Its fine.

Ok thanks for your reply :) I just needed clarification because I was honestly so unsure of it and some forums have strict rules with things like that but haven't been using macforums for long enough to find out by myself over time from examples.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just to add one thing, bumping is considered as a minor problem in the rules and will not get you banned right away. In case you bumped a thread, we would simply delete the post and send you a friendly reminder asking you not to do it again. However, as @SandboxGeneral said, your post and posts similar to that are completely fine, so you have nothing to worry about :)

Reactions: evamoree
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.