Thread creations and ignore lists

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Feb 18, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is there a way when I make a thread, people I have on ignore will not be able to post in it?

There are some people I just don't care for their input to say the least but am forced to see it (via quotations) and have other members react to their posts

Just some thoughts I had

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no way you can stop someone from posting in a thread. You'd have to ignore everyone if you want to avoid seeing an ignored poster quoted. (And you can quote me on that! :D )

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was thinking more of a script that would not allow anyone on a persons ignore list from being able to see or post in a thread created by said poster...much like how newbies can not post in certain forums

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not just ignore whoever you want, then just don't read any post where they're quoted? Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, but IMHO it seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid seeing some text on a forum page.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

with that logic, may as well do away with the whole ignore feature...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Am I missing something? If you have the people that bother you on ignore, you won't see their posts. That won't stop them from possibly derailing your thread, but that's what reporting posts to the mods are for.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thats good and all but other people can see them in the thread and do react to what they post

I simply do not want their involvement in threads I create in any capacity
    Reporting posts is only when violation of rules. I just want the option of not having their participation if I have them on ignore. I ignore them for a reason

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The bottom line is there's no way to do what you're wanting to do.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think you're safe enough staying off of Page 1.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the true bottom line is that if you have an issue with someone and you simply don't find it necessary to resolve it then you should stop creating threads all together. You cannot police your own threads. The ignore feature is there for your use but you're correct, you cannot prevent the ignored post from being quoted and then you see it. But really, if you don't like someone's answer then man up and start an actual dialogue with them. It works wonders.

I echo what I said to you before. ;)

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is the internet, people are going to say things you don't like. The only way to truly avoid these people is to turn off your computer.

13. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I tried the same thing and got the same result. The bottom line is while you can start any thread, you don't have ownership of it. Anyone can post a reply, provided that they follow the rules.