thread deleted from apple site - buying an imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gijoint, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gijoint macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to buy an iMac, but I came across with this info:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/26/next-generation-imacs-to-see-price-cuts/

I wrote help because of the following;

"While the MacBook price cuts did come to fruition as part of the broader notebook price drops and reorganization... "

The current or newest macbook comes with 2.13 ghz... I own a black macbook, bought it almost a year ago and it came with a 2.4 ghz processor.... So, how does the NEWER models come with less processor speed, and they don't give you the option to select another one.

"iMacs were just recently refreshed in March but will see another update by fall"

Will this happen with the newer or updated iMac, it will cost less but it will have lower speed processors?

I want to use for video & audio production (logic & final cut), so I want better performance... the ideal would be a mac pro but that's way out of my budget.

Thanks

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It depends on the clock speeds of Arrandale. No one really knows.

3. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

5. Shiner macrumors 6502

6. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

7. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.. I never saw it this way.. I always looked the shell and never thought the inner components would be the same..

8. Shiner macrumors 6502

Yeah apple really makes a huge profit on their imac consumer computers. They fool the average consumer into thinking they are buying a top of the line desktop. In reality most of the parts are very old technology and cheap. The macpro is so expensive it really is only for the rich, that have money to blow, or people that need that power. Apple has no real desktop segment. I always advise people to buy an apple laptop and build or buy a PC desktop. If you really want a mac desktop simply buy a mac mini and try to save some money. The new imacs are truly nothing to waste your time on.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Prices aren't dropping in the way that people think they are. The ratio of $ to power is dropping, but only slightly. Any (significant) price drops you see are, for the most part, decreases in power.

Also, don't forget that more GHz is not more power. Just because you may see a lower clock speed, doesn't mean that the computer is slower. The latest gen MacBooks are Core 2 Duo (64 bit versus the 32 bit Core Duo) machines with NVIDIA's 9400m (this runs laps around Intel's offering). Although the benefits are only slight now, when Snow Leopard comes around (and the benefits of OpenCL and Grand Central), the current MacBooks will put your BlackBook to shame.

The iMac should work for even some of the more complex tasks of AV work, but you cannot cheap out with the lower end models. If you plan on doing lots of extreme work, you will need a Mac Pro, but for a small time freelancer an iMac should be enough.

As with all technology, buy it when you need it. It will always be cheaper and more powerful tomorrow, so you will always be waiting.

10. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, never saw this coming..

im not precisely looking for a mac desktop.. i just want good perfomance and a screen bigger than 13"

the problem with my current macbook is that it only has a firewire 400 port... I use final cut and have an external drive; I store all my media in an external drive tha is connected via firewire.. when playback, I get trouble in perfomance...adding to that the fact that I want a bigger screen for editting... that is why I want to buy an imac... comes with a firewire 800 port a has a nice big screen... other than that i would go from 2.4 ghz to 3.06.... also i want to start using motion and after effects.. so I want a good video card, which I can choose a 512mb when buying an imac..

the laptop that comes closer to that is the mac pro 15".. but it has less processor speed (2.8 ghz) and its more expensive than an imac with the specs i want...

what would you recommend?

11. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

this is all eye opening information..

we just started a video production company, so there are no resourses for buying a mac pro...

3.06 ghz
    512 mb video card
    4gb ram

is what i want for my imac

I will sell my blackbook, so the sooner the better I guess..

what would you suggest?... buy now? or wait for the rumored price drop in the fall?

thanks

12. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you need one now, buy it.

13. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I hope that when you say you "started a video production company" that you mean you've thought of a name and want to make some videos, otherwise I really fear for the future of your "company."

14. Blair230 macrumors regular

You are getting caught up with the processor speed (a throwback to the megahertz myth). In the current line of computing, a few tenths of a percentage with processor clock speed is pretty negligable. For what you want you want as much RAM as possible, hard drive space, screen size and video card.

I think your most cost effective option is the imac compared to a macbook pro. Buy it, dont wait for the rumored price drop, and enjoy your purchase. They are great machines!:apple:

15. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

yea we have been working for almost 10 months now

16. gijoint thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks