Thread for current O2 customers who want an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spanky Deluxe, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok, there are a few things that I'd really like to work out.

Now although at the moment the iPhone doesn't appear to be *the* best deal. I'm not too worried about the £269 cost because that was expected. The tariff costs are higher than I'd like though.

I'm currently on a 12 month contract, pay a smidge under £30 a month and get 750 free anytime minutes, 750 free texts/mms and I have no idea what kind of data. I also get a free phone. Now stepping to the £45 iPhone plan doesn't seem like all that bad of a deal because I get unlimited gprs and free wifi (which has pretty good coverage around where I live). Now what it *doesn't* make up for is the subsidy of my phone. My previous contract included this, the iPhone contract doesn't.

Now my big question is, can we get an upgrade on our existing O2 contract and then the very next day go and buy an iPhone? As the yankees can do with AT&T. If we can do that then we can make this iPhone deal pretty good (for existing O2 customers who's contracts are up).

My contract is up for renewal in the next month or so, definitely before the iPhone comes out. If I can get a nice new phone for free, then activate the iPhone and its contact the very next day then the £35/£45/£55 per month deals would sound pretty good.

So what kind of other things would current O2 customers be interested in or want to know?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That's what I want to know. I'm due an upgrade now and I loathe my current phone.

3. stekerrod macrumors regular

I'm currently on pay as you go on O2 and i think im going to be getting it on the £45 a month deal, i need the minutes when im at uni and its alot better value than the £35 deal!

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Agreed, the £45/month deal does sound a *lot* better than the £35/month deal. As much as I think these tariffs should be a lot lower, my bills for the past few months have been £80+ for pretty much data use alone (on a £30/month tariff) so it wouldn't be too bad for me.

5. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Im on o2 I have the 40 pound plan. I just continued my contract and got a new phone (n95) my question is will i be able to just buy an iPhone and cary on or will i have to wait untill my contract runs out???

6. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

you're able to do this in the US, I don't see why they wouldn't just do that for you there. Here I bought the iPhone in an Apple store and activated it when I got home via my computer and there was an option for "existing" ATT customers. I don't see them changing it. Its beneficial to them, the catch is, I think you just renew your contract for another 2 years, your case--18 months. If you just renewed it though, then I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal.

7. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I have the feeling this is one of the things that O2 has had to concede to Apple. Apple doesn't want people being put off from buying the iPhone because they've just signed up for a new contract with O2 already. They want them to go and spend the extra money on the iPhone right now!

BTW in the states, it doesn't add on the 24 month contracts to the existing contract, it replaces it entirely, I believe.

8. joe8232 macrumors regular

Sorry to hi-jack the thread slightly but this is probably the best place for me to ask this. According to the O2 coverage map my area is dark blue [3g?] does this also mean that it is edge compatible??

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

here's a question -

USA iPhone with an o2 Simcard on contract inside (out of 12 month contract)
    will o2 let this on the iPhone tarrifs

will it activate via itunes ? will it work at all

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

This would be great. I have just upgraded my contact with O2. I got a new Samsung G600 which is in the post to me at the moment. I really don't know if I am going to keep it, but if not someone has offered me £250 for it so for that price I could get the iPhone and add it to my current contract.

If you use your existing plan does that stay the same monthly bill or do you have to change to one of the new rates? Staying on the current rate would be great if they are rolling out unlimited data in October.

11. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't think 3g automatically means Edge. I doubt O2 will release Edge coverage info until the iPhone is released, they're still rolling it out now.

I'd expect them to switch you over to an iPhone tariff, not the old one. I'm hoping they'll wipe out your old one and the months you were tied in and put you down onto a new iPhone 18 month one, starting the day you activate.

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

If you're outside the upgrade period on your tariff you have to buy your way out of the contract.. Typically on a 12 month contract that means if you've had it less than 9 months you have to pay the remaining rental up to 9 months (12 months if they're being nasty.. depends on the operator).

They will *not* let you switch for free. The minimum contract is factored into the phone cost - that's why you can get a free N95 for £35/month on O2 if you're prepared to go for 18 months - you're effectively paying for the phone by installments.

13. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

AT&T let people get their free upgrade before going to the iPhone. Its a whole different ballgame with the iPhone, different rules etc. For example, while the iPhone contract does lock you in for 18 months, if you get an iPhone v2 in six months, it'll just reset to an 18 month contract whereas on every other contract before this you always had to buy your way out or wait.

14. bartelby macrumors Core

I wouldn't mind an iPhone, but not at the crappy tariffs they offer.

15. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I wanted an iPhone but that was a few minutes ago before I secured my Blackberry deal with O2. 269 is just way ridiculous for a "phone", IMO.

16. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I hope you are wrong, other wise im screwed.

17. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

From o2 "If you're an existing O2 customer and you receive your bills directly from O2, or you're an O2 Pay & Go customer, during the activation process you'll be asked whether you'd like to transfer your existing O2 mobile number to your iPhone.
    This process can take up to 5 working days to complete, but don't worry - we'll provide you with a temporary number so you can start enjoying your iPhone straight away."

I guess we can get an iphone even is we just got an update...

18. stekerrod macrumors regular

yer i still think the tariffs are on the high side but i dont think the £35 tariff poses good value for money at all and it seems high for the amount of minutes and texts....guess everyone on these tariffs is going to have to use the internet and email to get their moneys worth out of it.....

19. Mattydj macrumors regular

I don't want to have to start a new thread about this and sorry if it hijacks but do you think i could get a UK iPhone and then swap the O2 contract simcard out with my O2 pay as you go sim? If it can be done then i will be able to get an iPhone :D

20. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You could get an iPhone and activate it on O2 and swap the sim but then you'd still be stuck with an 18 month contract. You could maybe get a phone, fake activate it and then use it with an O2 pay as you go sim. You wouldn't get unlimited data though and data with O2 usually costs a small fortune for even the simplest of things.

Edit: Nicolasdec, that's the way I read it too, here's hoping!! If O2 *do* allow this then it would sure make the iPhone deal a *hell* of a lot better in terms of moneysworth (providing you're due an upgrade).

21. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I Just got a n95 1 month ago.

22. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

How much did you get the n95 for? I'm due an upgrade but I'm not sure what I'd get. I want something preferably with 3g and with easy laptop tethering.

23. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Regardless of how long you've had your current contract apparently you'll be able to switch over your contract to an iPhone one. I guess the reasoning is your still tied in for 18 months and the phone isn't being heavily subsidised by the tariff in a traditional sense.

I've spoken to both normal o2 customer services, and the customer services for staff accounts. I'll lose my staff deal (£20 for 1,000 mins and texts) and will have to go to a normal tariff as they won't be doing an iPhone tariff for staff. Normal contracts will be the same in that they'll just move over to the iPhone tariffs and it'll kick in for another 18 months from that day.

Seems fair.

-Leemo

24. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

So if I upgrade to an 18 month contract with some Nokia or something and then activate an iPhone I'll just transfer to the 18 month iPhone contract with no penatly?

25. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Free on o2. great phone BTW.