Threading and Background execution

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nashyo, Sep 24, 2012.

1. nashyo macrumors 6502

nashyo

Hello Macrumours! I'm trying to applying lovely multithreading to my app and background execution.

Has anyone heard of submitting an App to an Enterprise store as a navigation or music App, when it's not? Has anyone pulled it off? Did you have to play an empty sound file constantly or keep the GPS on ?

How long can you run something in the background if it's not a Nav or Music App? Are there any features in iOS 6 that extend background running?

2. Reason077, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

What, exactly, do you need your app to do when its running in the background?

Enterprise apps are not reviewed by Apple, so you can get away with doing whatever iOS allows you to do. But it doesn't sound like something that would be very friendly to your users.

3. SteppingStone macrumors member

SteppingStone

I googled this a while back and I think I did find some reports of successful submission using the sound file trick. There are also reports of rejection. I'd try to find another way. Maybe you can use push notifications to achieve what you're after?

I don't know about iOS 6 yet, but there's really no way to run in the background. You get a few seconds to clean up and (apart from audio, navigation, etc) that's that.

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

PhoneyDeveloper

A normal app can run in the background for up to ten minutes by using the multitasking APIs.

Attempting to do an end run around the SDK requirements is not likely to work.