threading in Objective-C

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by OlyaGracheva, Dec 31, 2008.

1. OlyaGracheva macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to help me out here. I'm not sure where else to put this thread so I thought this may be the best place...

I am learning Objective-C and I need to know the following. I would be very grateful if someone can point me towards a guide/book/reference that explains the following terms:

Process
    Thread
    Forks

Many thanks,

Olya

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Here is an overview from Apple.

This is a book you have to pay for, but Advanced Mac OS X Programming is a really good reference for this sort of thing (kind of low-level C/UNIX-y stuff, but specifically related to OS X and in many parts, Cocoa).

Generally you probably want to avoid multithreading your app if possible. There are some tools you can use, such as NSTimer, NSTask, and NSOperation/NSOperationQueue, to do many multithread-like things without actually threading (or at least simplifying/hiding it). Your debugging can get a lot more complicated once you start multithreading, as you probably know if you've done any before. But anyway, here is a really nice article on Cocoa threading in Leopard from Cocoa Samurai.

3. OlyaGracheva thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Thank you very much for that. I'll look into it.

Happy New Year.

Olya