Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Alright I received my refurbished 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with 256 Vram in the mail a few days ago. Since then I've had 3 reoccurring problems that are extremely annoying..

1. The MBP will not hold a WiFi connection. The AirPort is always in scanning mode. It'll stay online for a few moments, then it'll disconnect and it just keeps repeating this cycle. I know it's not my router because I've tried it with other ones and it's the same issue each time. I know these don't have as good of range as the MacBook's, but I don't think thats the issue here. This is the most serious of all the problems, so any help would be appreciated!+

2. The MBP will not always load up after being in sleep mode. I've read this is a common issue, but have yet to find a solution. This happens when I wake the computer up from sleep mode. The screen just stays black, but you can hear the SuperDrive boot up. It does load after a minute or two, but it is still extremely annoying. I've read it might have to do with the keyboard firmware update?+

3. At random times the computer will drastically slow down and become very "jumpy". This is an odd issue I haven't seen anywhere else. Its happened twice now and pretty much the computer slows down and the cursor becomes very jumpy and not smooth. I have checked iStat and it says I have plenty of resources left, so there's no reason it should be slowing down. I did install 4 gigs of RAM in it, but the computer reads it fine and I installed it correctly. I doubt that's the issue, but figured I'd throw it out there.+

Sorry for the long thread, but these are really messing things up. This is my first Mac and I'm hoping these can all be easily solved. Should make a Genius Bar appointment? Thanks again!

tast01

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
What mode is your router using, and what mode is your card set to. After reading through many wireless problems with mbp, it seems that using N has something to do with it.

engles

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
1. It's Most likely your router.

2. Do Software Update. This was a problem for me too but apple fixed it (for me at least) in their last 10.5.2 update.

3. Are you closing applications after you are done using them... Check activity monitor when it slows down to see what apps are using up your memory and processor. Also if you have a lot of widgets they can slow your system down substantially...

Hope this helps..

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
For issue #2 above-

I had a 2.2 SR that Apple had given me as a "test unit" to try to get my company to look at switching to Apple machines. I had that issue constantly on that machine. As I remember, I had it both before and after the keyboard firmware update, but I'm having to stretch my memory back a bit there.

I never could find a resolution for that, but it was terribly annoying...

I know this doesn't help you, but I am yet to have that issue on my new 2.4 Penryn - sorry...

engles

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
hmm the update fixed the problem for me....

Maybe try waiting a minute after you open your computer before pressing a key...

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
1. It's Most likely your router.

2. Do Software Update. This was a problem for me too but apple fixed it (for me at least) in their last 10.5.2 update.

3. Are you closing applications after you are done using them... Check activity monitor when it slows down to see what apps are using up your memory and processor. Also if you have a lot of widgets they can slow your system down substantially...

Hope this helps..

I've tried it on other routers too and it still has the same problem. It wont stay connected for long. I have the Airport Extreme router.

I did the software update, no fix :mad:

I checked this and I have full resources available. Theres no reason it should be slowing down.

garyjelee

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Alright I received my refurbished 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with 256 Vram in the mail a few days ago. Since then I've had 3 reoccurring problems that are extremely annoying..

1. The MBP will not hold a WiFi connection. The AirPort is always in scanning mode. It'll stay online for a few moments, then it'll disconnect and it just keeps repeating this cycle. I know it's not my router because I've tried it with other ones and it's the same issue each time. I know these don't have as good of range as the MacBook's, but I don't think thats the issue here. This is the most serious of all the problems, so any help would be appreciated!+

2. The MBP will not always load up after being in sleep mode. I've read this is a common issue, but have yet to find a solution. This happens when I wake the computer up from sleep mode. The screen just stays black, but you can hear the SuperDrive boot up. It does load after a minute or two, but it is still extremely annoying. I've read it might have to do with the keyboard firmware update?+

3. At random times the computer will drastically slow down and become very "jumpy". This is an odd issue I haven't seen anywhere else. Its happened twice now and pretty much the computer slows down and the cursor becomes very jumpy and not smooth. I have checked iStat and it says I have plenty of resources left, so there's no reason it should be slowing down. I did install 4 gigs of RAM in it, but the computer reads it fine and I installed it correctly. I doubt that's the issue, but figured I'd throw it out there.+

Sorry for the long thread, but these are really messing things up. This is my first Mac and I'm hoping these can all be easily solved. Should make a Genius Bar appointment? Thanks again!

What you mentioned in point 3 happened numerous times for me since I got the MBP 15" in Jan this year. Mine's the version before the Penryn, 2.4GHz with 2 GB of RAM. I've done all available updates too.

engles

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
ou could rule out a hardware issue by making another user with admin priveledges and see if the problems persist on the new user name. I know many people who do his as a diagnostic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.