Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shujin88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne, AUS
Hi

I'm kind of new to Macs so please excuse my ignorance. That said, my question is.

Can i program a mighty mouse to use 3 button similar to a windows mouse?
I know there is the scroll wheel on MM but dont know if it can be programmed as a button. I need the middle button for a CAD program (Catia).

Thanks

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Yes

edit: fine let me rephrase.

Yes, the 3rd mouse button (scroll wheel) can be set to a number of different options. Once your Mighty mouse is connected, go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse. There you can set the preference.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Yes, your Mighty Mouse can be customized to use the left click, right click, middle button, and side buttons.

You can change what actions they perform by going into System Preferences, and click the "Keyboard & Mouse" option.

shujin88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne, AUS
Thanks...straight to the point i like that. I haven't bought the MM yet just wanted to make sure middle button was supported otherwise would have to buy a logitech one.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I'm actually not so sure. it's configurable, but not very configurable. it's also generally accepted as just about the worst mouse available. I wouldn't want it, especially for something intense like CAD software. I'd shop around if I were you, or at least try to find a few people who have the mighty mouse and use it for the same thing you want to use it for, and get their opinions.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think this answers your questions:

Attachments

• mouse.png
    mouse.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 154

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
you're getting a laptop? no, i don't think that's possible. you can set an are for secondary button, but I don't believe you can do that for third button.

shujin88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne, AUS
you're getting a laptop?

I know. but catia isn't the main use, i also use solidworks which i believe shouldn't be a problem with just a trackpad because i use used my current laptop with it. Catia on the other hand needs the middle mouse button if you want to pan or rotate your model, which is a great feature because its quick.

Thanks for the input everyone, i'll be getting it on Tuesday so will play around with the trackpad to get the hang of it...

simewich

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
i had a mighty mouse for about 6 months. I hated it.

Pros:

-Great tracking compared to other bluetooth mice
-scroll ball work well

Cons:

-Have to lift your left finger up to use right mouse button
-Right mouse button didnt work when the mouse got warm (after youve been using the mouse for awhile or using it in your bed) , I'm guessing this had to do with the sensors in the mouse not being able to detect your finger properly when the mouse is an warm as your fingers are.

I sold it and bought a Logitech 470 instead. I'm not completely happy with it becasue the tracking is a bit laggy and nit sufficient for fps games.

erinwhite

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
LA
three button mouse & catia/digital project

So, I've scoured the threads and still haven't been able to solve the problem I'm having. I'm using digital project (a parametric 3d modeling software) via bootcamp and parallels on my macbook pro and I cannot get the program to recognize the middle mouse button (scroll wheel button). As you may know, the middle button is crucial for navigating the program. I've tried the apple system preferences, but do not get the option to change the middle button settings - only the two button settings come up. I have also installed the mouse driver on both the mac and pc sides. I am using a bluetooth logitech mouse and have also tested it with a friend's wired mouse. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've been in contact with CATIA and Logitech to no avail.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
CATIA will be fine on any current Apple laptop. I run Solidworks and NX 6 on mine.

But for the love of god, do NOT buy a Mighty Mouse for use with CAD. It's not possible to right + left click at the same time. Something which was useful in NX.

Almost anything else is better. I currently use a Trust Red Bull Racing mouse, but only because it was free.

Have you got or tried a SpaceNavigator? Definitely a good purchase if you're using CAD.

erinwhite

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
LA
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried a space navigator yet, but would like to. I do want to get my normal mouse to work first though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.