Three Computers & iphone, ipad and ipod - is there as simple way?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McPhenius, Jun 20, 2010.

1. McPhenius macrumors newbie

I know you can hook multiple devices to one computer and sync via iTunes. Here is my issue.

Desktop with my music & video - iPod goes to that
    HP Laptop with applications - iPhone goes to that
    MacBook with applications - iPad goes to that

I know, crazy. All three use the same iTunes sign in.

I've preordered my iPhone 4 and plan to replace my original 3G iPhone and iPod with that. However, since all of my music is on my desktop, what is the best way to get it to my HP laptop? I'd like to sync all my music to my new iPhone and all my original iPhone apps to my new iPhone too.

Would it be easier to move the original iPhone apps to the desktop or redownload those to the desktop since my music is already there? Or is there a way to plug my iPod into my HP laptop (with no music on it) and transfer all my music from my iPod to the HP laptop?

How much more trouble would it be to have my new iPhone (with music & apps) on my MacBook where I have my iPad currently, with it's apps? I don't mind using two computers, but I'd hate to keep using three since I want to combine my iPod music onto my new iPhone.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

1) You want to get all of your music from your desktop to your HP laptop. Use the Senuti application for the computer you want your music on. It will take all of the music from your iPod and put it on your computer. This way you just upload any music you want on your HP onto your iPod, then connect the iPod to your HP with Senuti and it will put all the music on the computer for you.

2) Since you will be using the same iTunes login for your new iPhone, it's simple! You can just redownload any of the apps that you already purchased and "buy" it. It will say that you have already purchased it, would you like to purchase it again? and you say yes. When you sync your new iPhone to your HP laptop, it will download them to your HP without a problem

3) You can do all of this for your MacBook too. It should fairly easy to move everything to your MacBook if that's what you'd like that. Since all of your apps are on the same login information, you can go into iTunes on any computer, sign into your account, and download that app for free. If you have questions, just ask... lots of people here to help and I know how to do most of this (also feel free to PM me). ;)

3. McPhenius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Lorenwade,

I think I want to put my iPhone 4 on my desktop, where my music is anyways (my apps for my 3G are currently on the HP laptop). I imagine it will be easier to redownload my apps that are on my HP laptop, onto my desktop iTunes. I only have two apps where I will lose data, but both of those have desktop backup. I think that would be easier than transfering all the music.

As far as my MacBook and iPad go, I will probably just leave that the way it is as I don't use the Macbook as much as my desktop.