Three days into my first Mac, two little complaints/questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cms2, Aug 27, 2007.

1. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I finally got the mbp I ordered. I am absolutely in love with this laptop. It's beautiful, OS X is about as easy to learn as possible, and it more than meets my needs. I'm just wondering about a couple of (possibly stupid) questions:

1. Why does the "end" key not take me to the end of a line of text? I bought one of the new wired keyboards to go with my new laptop, and the "end" key doesn't work properly on either it or the the laptop keyboard.

2. When I set my screensaver and hit "test" it looks just beautiful. When the screensaver comes on on its own, it is dark. I've tried everything, including turning off the (apparently unrelated) power saver setting "automatically dim screen before sleeping"

Other than these, I am so far very happy. In fact, even with these minor glitches I'm incredibly happy. I'll never voluntarily use windows again.

CMS2
    :apple: MBP: 15 in. glossy/160GB/SR

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's just one of the things OS X does differently. A Mac user could just as easily ask the same question about Windows, about why the End key goes to the end of a line. On a Mac, Command-right arrow takes you to the end of a line and Command-left arrow takes you to the start.

But, if this is intensely annoying to you, you could try this http://evansweb.info/articles/2005/03/24/mac-os-x-and-home-end-keys

I haven't tried it since although I switched from Windows myself I got used to it quickly. So quickly in fact that I'm annoyed by the Linux/Windows behaviour. What's worse is that Microsoft Office apps use the non-Mac OS key bindings, ie. End takes you to the end of the line.

3. cms2 thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

Thanks so much! I don't really care which way it's accomplished; I'm just glad to know that there is a way. I was getting tired of tapping the arrow keys (i'm a keyboard junkie). I'm sure it will be second nature in no time.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you made sure that in Energy Saver, the time till the screen turns itself off to save power is greater than the time to screensaver? If it isn't, then the screen just powers down and you never get a chance to see the screensaver. That's the most common reason.

As for the keyboard, from a fellow relatively keyboard intensive switcher, after some time I think you'll generally really enjoy it. OS X keyboard shortcuts are generally very intuitive once you get the feel for them. About the only thing people ever really miss is how easily you can keyboard your way through the menus in Windows. In OS X you can sort of do this, but it's unappetizing enough that most of us just give it up.

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Wow you learn something new every day. I've been using Macs for 4 years and never knew Cmd + Left/Right went to the beginning/end of a line. I just assumed you couldn't do it :)

6. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

same here

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Well while we are learning: ctrl + a reaches the beginning of the line, ctrl + e reaches the end, ctrl + h = backspace, ctrl + d = delete, ctrl + n = line down, ctrl + p = line up, ctrl + b = one char back, ctrl + f = one char forward.

Imo, all this makes it easier for me to type, because I don't have to lift my hands to reach the arrow keys. It's an old Unix/emacs shortcut heritage btw for those interested in knowing.

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Oooh, I knew about the cmd+left/right thing but I didn't know about those. I'll have to see if I can fit those in my keyboard habits. :D

9. I'm a ROb macrumors member

Perhaps superfluous :eek::
    Also use the -shift- key in combination to select text.

10. cms2 thread starter macrumors 6502

cms2

This forum is the best. I wanted to thank all my new friends in the macrumors community for their help. Also, I fixed the screensaver problem; it was my powersaver settings.

For the one millionth time - I love this laptop. It's actually up in the kitchen making me some coffee right now. Hey, laptop, how about a bagel? Is there anything my mac can't do??;):D

:apple:

11. Fungie macrumors newbie

Question: When you drag texts from a webpage on2 desktop it saves but then how do u drag it in2 another program?? Im a total newbie with Mac n this problem's been bugging me for a week!! Any solutions would b SO appreciated!:)

12. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Quick question regarding the OP's original question (I haven't switched yet)

What does HOME and END do on the Mac by default? Start and End of each WORD as opposed to LINE?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now I'm not in front of a Mac, but my impression was ... take you to the beginning or end of the document (link). I always thought this was the classic behavior, but I guess that means something else I used before must've done the same...Amiga? :confused:

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, differently, I can tolerate difference, but this is low efficiency, why you have to press two keys to do the same thing windows can do with 1 key? and look around, there are so many short keys under osx that require you to press 3 keys, Jesus. this is not easy of use, and apple should improve it.

I think individual keyboard is better, on laptops, I hate to press Fn all the time...

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You just drag it into the document window. Works for me, in MS Word and TextEdit. You can also drag it onto the dock icon and it will open a new blank document with the text in it.

16. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

The mac is much more efficient in many many more ways than windows. Anyways, I'm guessing you originally came from windows? I know some people who do those 2~3 keystrokes as second nature and can accomplish the same things as efficiently as someone working with windows.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its simple physics, pressing 2~3 keys need more input(fingers, maybe an extra hand) than press 1 key, where comes the argument? lets don't take exceptions as majority facts here. Lets just talk about normal average windows and osx users.

Not everything has to be an argument about osx vs. windows. its obviously an tiny issue, apple can change it easily.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There are loads of things about OS X I don't like (shift-arrow-selection model in lists, anyone?), but I don't really agree with you in this particular case. As most people have two hands, one presses the command key while the other one reaches for the arrow keys, which on most keyboards are far more easily reached than the home/end keys, making it actually take less time... simple physics.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

doubt it. most people are one hand on keyboard, one hand on mice until they start to input text. and....

its not only a cmd_arrow keys issue. e.g. F5, one key to refresh the page in browser, in MB's OSX, either Fn+F5, or cmd+R. focus to address bar, alt+D, one hand issue under windows, while in OSX, cmd+L, have to use two hands.....

of course, when I say "most", i don't have any data to back it up, just a guess. :)

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Two fingers in most cases, at least on full keyboards. One hand can reach command and the key usually.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

?? cmd+L?? sorry, you can try for yourself, its difficult with one hand at best, and by no means its easier than alt+d

I think I did mention I have more problem with mac laptop's keyboard. less on a full size independent keyboard.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have to disagree also... based on a slight variation of this argument. To be honest, I don't use the home/end keys very often on the Windows keyboard. I don't use Page Up/Down all that often either. Why? Because they're far away from the home row keys. From a design principle (and this is something I used on Windows first), in contrast, I use space and shift-space all the time to do navigation, because my fingers are already right there. In the same way, I find the Apple navigation more efficient generally (having used both in depth and continuing to use both systems on the average day) because, while it might be a two key combination, my fingers are again closer.

On a desktop keyboard, it is a big inconvenience to leave the home row and go to the block above the arrow keys. I never do this when editing (including very rarely using the delete key). On a laptop keyboard, granted that the arrow keys are closer and these function are probably key modifiers of the arrow keys anyway, I still have the advantage that I'm using one of my primary fingers (index or middle) and not my pinky to hit the fn key.

I guess this argument expands generally to heavy use of the function keys or extra rows of keys on the keyboard for stuff like launching the web browser.

I know people who say they find themselves more efficient with these things, but I don't meet a lot of people who can type nearly as quickly and accurately as I can (or faster) who think that these things are beneficial. And I don't need my keyboard designed to make someone who types 20WPM more efficient. Screw them! :p

23. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

are there not TWO command keys..one jsut below the "L"?

dont forget command c for copy, command v for paste, and i believe command x is cut :)

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, cmd+c/v/x is absolutely essential, its so hard to find those command in menus of different apps.

about cmd+L, I guess Im too used to left hand keyboard/right hand mice mode. and Im not lefty...