Three Different Display Types: What to do ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iamnoahc, Sep 26, 2011.

1. iamnoahc macrumors newbie

Between my girlfriend and I we have three different display types. During the day, I often use your monitor when I'm working. I stupidly figured since the minidisplay port and thunderbolt ports looked the same they would be backwards compatible.

I currently have a brand new Macbook Air, she has a mid-2010 Macbook Pro (mini display port), and I have a 2008 macbook (display port (I think)).

Ideally, there'd be a way to plug these all into the new ACD thunderbolt I just bought with my MBA. If the 2008 macbook doesn't plug in that's okay because it'll be phased out. However, I'd like the MBP and MBA to be able to share the same monitor.

What is the best thing to do in this case? Sell the MBP and buy a new MBP? Does apple have a quick/easy way to trade this in or sell it to them? The old MBP has an SSD drive in it so it is pretty speedy still. What would you do?

2. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

Your girlfriend's MBP is not compatible with the current Thunderbolt Display.

If you're really set on an Apple Display, try looking for a Mini DisplayPort refurb, so that your girlfriend's MBP could use it. Your MBP will be able to use it, but it will not have the Thunderbolt functionality. Once in a while they pop up on the Apple Refurb Store, so you'll have to keep an eye out for them. It's going to be cheaper than the $999 for the Thunderbolt monitor.

Of course you could always purchase a monitor from a different company. There's plenty to chose from, and many have a mini display port.

Edit : One just appeared on Apple's website today. It's the 27 inch version, so you'll get the exact same display/resolution as the Thunderbolt version.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC007LL/A?mco=MjA4MjM3Njc

The 24 inch model is a few hundred less than that one.

3. iamnoahc thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone else confirm that the miniDisplay port will work with my thunderbolt device?

I read online that if the symbols don't match up, then they won't work together. It could be bad advice, though.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The miniDisplayPort display will work with your thunderbolt computer, but it doesn't work the other way around. If the 08 macbook is plastic, then it won't work with any of the apple displays, as it uses mini DVI.

5. interrobang macrumors 6502

As a general rule, a newer computer can work with an older display, but not vice versa.

A Thunderbolt computer can work with Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, DVI, or VGA displays.
    A DisplayPort computer can work with DisplayPort, DVI, or VGA displays.
    A DVI computer can work with DVI or VGA displays.
    A VGA computer can work with a VGA monitor.

Under certain circumstances, you might be able to go the other way around, but I wouldn't bet on it.

6. iamnoahc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks this is in fant the case. I'm not that attached to getting this one working as I'll be using the MacBook Air for most of my work anyway.

Thanks for the confirmation though.