three displays + mirroring only two?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by filmizus, May 23, 2007.

1. filmizus macrumors newbie

I need to know if the following is possible with OS X (running on a mac pro):

I currently have two dell displays running from the dual DVI card in my Mac Pro. I want to get a third display, which would require another video card. What I need to do is mirror two of the diplays and have the third display seperate, like so:

Display A - Picture 1
    Display B - Picture 1 (mirrored from display A)
    Display C - Picture 2

Possible?

Thanks!

2. Angrist macrumors 6502

If you're just mirroring ... I THINK that you can get a splitter cable for the DVI. It'll just send the same signal to both monitors, and your computer will behave as if the two mirrored displays are a single display.

Disclaimer: I haven't done this, or looked into it, this is just what I remember.\

Edit: Google turned up this along with a whole bunch of expensive boxes. but this is what I had in mind.

3. maccap macrumors newbie

I was trying to get this to work last night with the following setup:
    Mac Pro (two Nvidia Cards)
    2 - 23" Cinema Displays
    1 - 50" Plasma

I wanted 1 CD to be mirrorred on the Plasma while the 2nd CD was an extension of the first CD. It was super late so I didn't have time to search last night but this morning I found this article on Apple's site, I believe this answers both our questions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1551.html

You want to read the "Tip:" part at the bottom.