Three finger drag inconsistencies MacBook Pro 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hfmb, Nov 26, 2016.

?

Is anyone else experiencing trackpad issues with the new MacBook Pro touchbar 2016?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. hfmb macrumors newbie

hfmb

I received my new MacBook Pro 13 inch touchbar about a week ago, and on the whole I'm pleased with it. HOWEVER, the three finger drag only works when it wants to, which is a total pain, and one-tap is a bit inconsistent too. To start with I thought maybe it just needed a reboot, but that made no difference. I also had a huge problem when creating a book. The photos app crashed literally every 6 or 7 minutes, and when I ordered the book I was charged 3 times (refunded quickly when I reported the problem.) I am an experienced MacBook user - have been using one model or another since the original all-white unibody, and this is the first time I've experienced significant issues.

2. altaic macrumors member

Three finger tap for data detectors is also bugged. Luckily force touch works in that case, but it's not nearly as nice as three finger tap. Pretty sure it's a Sierra thing and not hardware, though; it was also inconsistent and buggy on my 2012 rMBP.

Also, it seems like regular clicking causes the mouse to wander sometimes, causing a drag event instead. This only happens on the new giant touchpad, indicating that the driver isn't up to snuff. I've adjusted my thumb angle to help the software out, but it's a rather dissatisfying experience.

3. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

move it to two finger drag I am having zero issues with that

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

5. danrhiggins macrumors newbie

I have posted this reply elsewhere but I want to make sure potential buyers are aware.

Having come from a MacBook Air where 3-finger drag/select was far and away my most common gesture I have been very frustrated that the operation on the the MBP was inconsistent. So this morning (December 19) I spent an hour with Apple Support. The answer: "The 3-finger drag feature was only intended for and designed for moving windows around. It as never intended for doing something like select text." This was according to what seemed like level 3 support - the people who back up the people who answer the phone. The support person (someone named Mike) pointed me to the following article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204609

Bottom line - According to Mike at Apple Support, the capability so many of us enjoyed on our MacBook Airs for the past few years was not supposed to work that way. So, if you are on the latest firmware and sofware (which I am: Sierra 10.12.2 and firmware 1039) and have all the correct options set such as Tap To Click, etc. (which I do according to the Apple support people) and it still doesn't work consistently. This functionality was available on my prior system (MacBook Air) but the apparent excuse Apple is making is that it wasn't documented to work the way so many of us were using it. Therefore, no obligation to fix it and I am screwed. There is no fix coming. There is no answer. (Even though it was an Apple store employee who showed me how it worked to select text, draw objects, etc. on my MacBook Air.)

I want to be sure that people know what they are getting if they buy one of these MacBook Pros. Had I known, I would not have purchased it. And since Apple strung me along with non-solutions to the problem I am past the 14-day window and unable to return this MacBook Pro to get my money back so I can revert to my older MacBook Air which worked the way I liked.