Three Finger Swipe Gesture In Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nathanbookpro, May 19, 2008.

1. nathanbookpro macrumors member

I just went to the mozilla site and left some feedback for firefox requesting the 3 finger swipe gesture to be implemented, like in safari. Although, my single request probably wont do much, maybe others have and I'm contributing. Anyway, i thought i should post the link here, and anyone that could be bothered could fill it out as well.. the more people we get to send it, the more likely they developers will implement it, and sooner.

Feedback Form

2. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Is that feature Safari specific or is it hardware specific? I don't have my MBP in front of me to try it, but I thought the multitouch features, such as 3 finger swipe, were hardware and OS software related, thus allowing the capabilities to work across multiple browsers. Wrong?

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

What's wrong with MultiClutch?
    I know it's not Firefox-native, but very versatile.

4. Dmytro macrumors newbie

5. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Having trouble customizing

I have Firefox 3 and MultiClutch but how do you get it to recognize my three finger swipe (left or right) as a back page or forward page?

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Do you also have a computer capable of doing three-finger-swipes (MacBook Air or one of the latest MacBook Pros)?

7. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Yes I have a macbook pro (and im loving it)
    The scrolling works but the three finger page swipe doesnt.

8. Dmytro macrumors newbie

Go to System Preferences, then Multiclutch. Add Firefox into the list on the left. On the right, add the swipe gestures, swipe left pointing to Command+Left and swipe right pointing to Command+Right.

9. Snowbound macrumors regular

I'm loving multiclutch with firefox 3. I have three finger swipe set to switch tabs and rotate left and right to go back and forward in the browser. Fastest internet surfing ever. I wonder if the novelty will wear off, but for now, it rocks!

10. odog402 macrumors member

Wow that sounds cool. What's the command to switch between tabs?

11. Snowbound macrumors regular

It's control (yes control, not command, haha) -tab and cntrl-shift-tab depending on the direction you want to go to switch tabs in firefox 3. I had a hard time finding that written down anywhere when I was looking for it, but I randomly remembered a few days ago. Have fun!

12. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Problem Solved

I figured out that you have to log out and log in for it to take effect.

13. Tannerozzy macrumors regular

Tannerozzy

uhh. problem. i can't figure out how to do this in multiclutch. that's the only reason i neve used firefox is because you had to use ctrl instead of command and multiclutch won't let me start a key command with control. am i missing something here? :/

uhh. problem. i can't figure out how to do this in multiclutch. that's the only reason i neve used firefox is because you had to use ctrl instead of command and multiclutch won't let me start a key command with control. am i missing something here? :/

nevermind. i just tried it again and now it DOES let me use control in a key command. before it would just do nothing. i'm glad i saw this and decided to try again.

14. 14MorrisonB macrumors newbie

Camino instead

I have the same problem with my Mac and Firefox. I did find solution. The web browser Camino works quite well for me and the three finger swipe is enabled on it. Google it and try it out.

15. lyle0220 macrumors newbie

Thanks!

16. captainrhetoric macrumors newbie

captainrhetoric

thanks guys. I almost stopped using firefox over this issue.

17. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Even if you don't have the latest MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (Albeight Multi-Touch Capable..) then you can do this to enable 4-Finger Gestures... Which might be of interest to you!! But really... just get Multiclutch!! It works great!! And obviously it's customizable!!!

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3.5 has this feature build in, and said to provide more gestures than safari.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

20. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Good point... infact.. I had completely forgot about that... I also just had a thought that in Linux (Or at least Ubuntu)... You can do up to 8 finger gestures!!! I said 8 :eek:

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I guess that would be useful with microsoft surface, My computer's trackpad is too small for 8 fingers.

good to know the possibility tho.

22. adammcd macrumors member

I tried using Multiclutch with Firefox and was not too happy (it seemed laggy in comparison to Safari's native trackpad gestures). Someone told me that Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 had native trackpad gestures -- I've been happily using Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 since Dec. 2008 without any bugs so far.

I am wondering why it is taking so long for these gestures to make their way into the main (stable) Firefox application. Us MacBook users have been using the Beta versions for some time now without any issues...

23. flapperdink macrumors member

i've used multiclutch with firefox 3 (and now 3.5 beta), and i haven't noticed lag with either one of them. responds just as fast as it does with safari.

24. ncmfly macrumors newbie

Option key and two fingers

Hold Option and two finger gesture down to go back and two fingers up to go forward in Firefox.

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah, and well... if it does lag... well you're going to be anyways for firefox anyways :)