Three-Finger Swipe Gestures - Differences...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by roblawton, Jun 23, 2011.

1. roblawton macrumors 6502

Bit of an odd problem with my three finger gestures which only seems to effect Twitter.app I think.

In all other apps, the three-fingers do what they're meant to:
    • Page back/forward in Safari
    • Page back/forward in Finder
    That kinda thing. However, it differs depending on if I'm using my MacBook Air (built-in TrackPad) or if I'm using my iMac (Magic TrackPad) - Both running Lion DP4.

On my Air, three-finger swipes in Twitter.app will -
    • Swipe Up/Down - Cycle through Timeline, Mentions, Messages, etc...
    • Swipe Left/Right - Drill into threads, view hashtags, visit links
    BUT, on my iMac, the same gestures for Left/Right work but Up/Down do nothing!

My settings are the same in both...

MacBook Air
    [​IMG]

iMac
    [​IMG]

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

2. Loptimist macrumors member

You're lucky.

I used to use vertical three finger scrolling on Air but then DP4 destroyed it.

It might be a better idea to stop playing with it; it can destroy vertical gestures on yours too :p

3. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Same thing here... gestures on my MagicTrackpad are different than on my MBP. I hope it gets fixed.

4. roblawton thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's where the fun starts. I now have Lion GM on both devices and the problem is on both!

No matter what I try, I can no longer three-finger swipe up and down.

I hope this is a bug in twitter.app. I'll see if I can feedback somewhere.

5. Dcr2k macrumors newbie

same here

3 finger swipe down (pause) also not working here when not used as a mission control or spaces switch gesture. Therefore tab overview in chrome, switching in twitter, & any other app supporting such gesture is not responsive.

One time I restarted my computer & it randomly started working again. There's a bug for you.

6. buthidae macrumors newbie

Phew, glad it's not just me! I had this happen on my 2011 MBP after going 10.6.8 -> GM. No three finger gestures in apps that should support it after changing Mission Control to four fingers. :(

Hopefully it's a bug and gets fixed soon! :)

7. pyn macrumors member

Yep. It's very annoying. Mail and Reader both used this gesture as next/previous. Now I had to assign it to swipe left and right, which is very unintuitive as the articles are up/down, not left/right...

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I want to free up either 3 finger swipe or 4 finger swipe to use jiTouch to swap between tabs.

With either of these options enabled in the touchpad settings, I can't get either of the gestures to work, both 3 finger and 4 finger swipes swap between full screen windows.

Bug?

9. breon macrumors newbie

Yup. It appears that the latest version of Lion GM has completely hijacked three-finger swipe, even if you disable it in the System Preferences. I used to use it for back/forward in Chrome as well as three finger swipe down to show the tab overview in Chrome. (if you didn't know about that last one, go to about:flags in chrome :)

10. axu539 macrumors 6502a

For those with issues with multitouch gestures, try toggling them off and on. None of my multitouch gestures (2, 3, 4 finger) were working at all when I installed the GM. I disabled everything in the trackpad settings, then re-enabled them all. They magically started working.

11. leninheredia macrumors newbie

Same here

I also have experienced these problems, especially on twitter and it's so annoying when i can't swipe up/down to go between timelime, mentions, profile, etc... al least swipe left/right is working. Hope this gets fixed when official version is released :mad:

12. c:v macrumors regular

Something I just realised:

With 2 finger swipe left/right in Safari, I get a an animation/preview of the old page so you can actually drag the page from left (back) to right (forward) with seeing BOTH pages at the same time for a moment (depending where your scrolling is).

With 3 finger swipe left/right, you completely lose that animation/feature and Safari reverts back to the normal back/forward option.

The 3 finger swipe also turns off spaces/desktop switching. Anyone else notice this?

Attached Files: