Three games on MacBook pro

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by RabbiD, Mar 13, 2011.

1. RabbiD, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

RabbiD macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!
    I'm getting my first MacBook on my birthday next week. I have gone through tonnes of information (web, YouTube vids) to find answers but as couldn't find the exact ones I hope to find the answers here from you.
    So I'm getting new MacBook pro 15' 2.0 GHz 2.0GHz and I'm absolutely sure that it will work fine with all the music, browsing, homework stuff, but I'm also planning to do a bit of gaming on it. I'm not a hardcore gamer (last game I got was a present from a friend on my birthday 2 years ago) and I'm not looking for max. settings in it, I'm just worried if it will perform well in general.

I'm planning to play three games; Team Fortress 2, The Witcher, TES Oblivion and maybe occasionally HL2.

Will there games work fine? From what I found I can't see exact answer. If you will go on steam forums you may be just terrified by all this "performing issues" people get, so I don't really know what to think about it...

Hope to hear from you soon and sorry if these questions been asked before.

Update;
    The characteristics are;
    2.0GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. RabbiD, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

RabbiD thread starter macrumors newbie

Been moved to the top

4. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Out of the four, only the Witcher will pose any problem. The highly modified Bioware Aurora engine they used for that game is a bit of a pig.

I started up a new Witcher game on my MBP and it ran fine maxed out. So you will be fine medium to high depending on the framerate you like.

All four won't even require booting into Windows: www.portingteam.com for details.

It seems the 6490m is a bit faster than a 330m.

5. RabbiD thread starter macrumors newbie

:.

That's good news, thanks a lot. So I don't necessary need to bootcamp and it still will run fine? I'm pretty sure about steam games (especially cose they going to put it seriously for mac's) but Oblivion as well? The original one, I don't have any addons))

6. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

From my Mac gameplay experience so far it is a lot better on a 6490 than the 330 but I have not had enough time to give a conclusive set of results.

7. RabbiD thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question; will you advice me to get windows and use bootcamp? I never had mac, so I have no idea how to install games and stuff, but I heard that with windows it works the same. Do I just need to put cd inside and I will be able to play, or there is some creepy way with use of emulators...? How does this happen on mac's?
    Sorry for this noob questions but it's very hard to find an answer. What I understood is how to do bootcamp but I don't know if I really need to spend money on it if I can just calmly play same games. I think it is mainly question for Oblivion, as there is mac version of steam.

8. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Bootcamp is easy to install but you need a real copy of Windows to install it. Bootcamp is just the name for installing Windows on a Mac machine. It is found in Utilities. Apple's website has some help articles on getting started.

Edwin

9. RabbiD thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks! I know how to do this, just wondering if I need it to play Oblivion normally, Ive heard that cider is crap.

10. doh123 macrumors 65816

I play Oblivion with a Cider hacked port and it runs fantastic.

11. RabbiD thread starter macrumors newbie

! That's why asking a direct question is so helpful)) Have you got it from portingteam.com? It will be helpful to know if it's fine for MacBook and not dealing any problems :)

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The Witcher runs great on 330M on high settings at 1680x1050 on my MBP (over 30 fps at all times).
    It should run almost as great on yours.

My consensus is that the 6490m is a bit slower than the 330m.

13. doh123 macrumors 65816

yep.. its how I found and joined up with the Porting Team and got into Porting... and why I started the Wineskin project :)

Oblivion runs in Wineskin fine too actually, but the Cider ports are getting a bit higher frame rate. You do have to disable music though, cuz the changing music bug pauses it for a second which is annoying every time battle music comes on. Disabled music fixes that. i never think about it because i disable music right away in 99% of the games I play.

14. RabbiD, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Thank you for help, I'm a bit confused now about 6490 and 330 (you mean graphics card, right?) but I defiantly want to get the one which characteristics in the first post which is basic ver. of 15' one! I find it more... Err, comfortable I guess?))
    Anyway the information I got is very clear and answered a lot of questions I had. Thanks again, I will probably write how it will go, when I get it, so it will be clear for other people in the same situation.

Well, music is not a biggest sacrifice, especially cose you can turn something else on background), but it still not very nice to lose it. Just curious, is there music in winescrin version? :p

15. RabbiD, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Well its me again. Just want to report that I successfully installed and played Oblivion via cross over and cider you can find on portingteam.com. There is no obvious problems with this game (apart of macbook getting quite hot after some time, but it seems to be common problem).

My problem now is with steam games. I've downloaded HL2 and played a bit. But on the next day at start it stopped launching (problem with background image). I've reinstalled it and now there is another problem when I'm trying to load or start the game Model models/props_foliage/tree_deciduous_01.mold not found and model/error.mdl couldn't be loadd comes out. Before this game was running beautifully...

I also downloaded TF2. It runs smoothly too BUT... The only map that was working properly was cp_orange_exe (the first one I joined), the other ones been like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/100314106014528174178/27032011#5588753393034769458
    basically all bloory. I tried to change settings but it didn't help. Even the window mode :D
    Before I was playing this games on Windows computer. Could it be a problem? :/

16. RabbiD thread starter macrumors newbie

Update
    God, there is the same problem with ep 2. Any help here?:mad:

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No problem with TF2 BOUGHT with steam. Maybe you should contact steam for support.