Three iPads, All had dead pixels

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johndango, Apr 9, 2010.

1. johndango macrumors member

I am apparently cursed. I've gone through 3 iPads because of dead pixels. They finally gave me one that wasn't messed up the fourth time. Has anybody else had any dead pixels?

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

First unit, not a single dead pixel. What capacity did you purchase.

3. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

4. johndango thread starter macrumors member

5. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Can someone post a picture of what a dead pixel looks like?

Is it something that most people don't notice, cuz three just sounds incredibly suspicious otherwise. How could your luck be that bad?

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Yeah that just sounds like bad luck but then i have had no issues with my 32gig with dead pixels or wifi or anything else so maybe its just good luck on my part and not bad luck on yours :)

7. johndango thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG]

The dot inside the mouse cursor is an example of a dead pixel. It's where one pixel will show nothing but the color black. I find that most people with average eyesight never even notice them. I have perfect vision though and so the dumb dead pixels are the only things I ever seem to notice.

8. bobraynard macrumors newbie

9. johndango thread starter macrumors member

They expect my money; I expect perfection. When they give me a product with a dead pixel, even though it is minor, it is still a defective product.

10. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Having a/some dead pixels makes things really difficult to sell on, and reduces the resale price quite significantly.

Imagine. Two identical iPads on Ebay, same price, but one is listed with having a dead pixel...Which would you choose?

I would definitely take mine back to Apple for an exchange for even a single dead pixel.

11. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Do you REALLY think the Ebay seller is going to tell you it has a dead pixel???

Hey, johndango...can you post another picture that isn't zoomed in so that we can see what it looks like from 2 feet away--or the approximate distance one's head is from the screen. This dead pixel stuff and the obsession over them fascinates me. Oh, and don't put the pointer underneath it. Just take a "normal" picture of the iPad homescreem or summat. Thanks!

12. johndango thread starter macrumors member

I don't actually have any iPads with dead pixels. I returned them all. I also cant seem to find a good, non zoomed in example when I do an image search. My GUESS is that pictures wouldn't be high resolution enough for you to really notice anyway.

[​IMG]

But imagine that you had a pixel in the middle of your screen that was always black and never moved. Everytime you scrolled on a website, the lack of movement would make it stand out. Any time your screen flashed all white in a movie or game, you'd see the one black spot.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about buying this:

[​IMG]

13. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

14. johndango thread starter macrumors member

I've got amazing eyesight too so it just seems to stand out to me. My GF couldn't even notice it, but it was just tearing my eyes out.

It felt like this:

[​IMG]

15. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

If I buy any viewing equipment second hand (doesn't matter where from, Eaby, forums, etc), I always ask 3 questions:

1. Any scratches on the screen (a definite No No)
    2. Any scratches on the body (will reduce its value)
    3. Any dead pixels (further reduce its value, but more likely another No No).

If I asked an Ebay seller if it had any dead pixels and they said no, and it did, that would be an instant return and refund (either direct from the seller, or via PayPal buyer protection).

So, yes, I would expect an Ebay seller to tell me about ANY flaws, and it would affect my purchasing decision.

16. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Please post your ebay ID so I know to never sell to you! I always email back and forth between buyers of my stuff and block aholes from bidding.

17. Undo macrumors member

I've never experienced a dead pixel, but I can only imagine it's the equivalent of a fly in your drink. You don't send it back simply because it's not supposed to be there, but because the proprietor needs to take responsibility and recognize the inferior quality of his service and be reminded of his obligation to his patrons. It's partly a matter of principle IMHO.

18. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Right back at ya...I never buy from "aholes", as you yanks so eloquently put.

19. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

+1

I don't play that either

20. SocalMark macrumors member

Took my 16GB back to bestbuy had 3 dead pixels they didn't have any 16GB so I upgraded to the 64GB Perfect screen.

21. johndango thread starter macrumors member

Well said.

So you paid them more money when you found out they gave you a defective product? :confused:

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This shirt is rad :D! Best thing to come out of a dead pixel thread.

23. SocalMark macrumors member

I'm happy that's all I care about. :)

24. johndango thread starter macrumors member

Yes but you also would've been happy with the one you originally bought, had they not sucked at making it. Thus you reward them buy spending more money? :confused:

25. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

no dead pixels here...

32Gb model perfect screen... I must say I must be very lucky, I got 2 MacBooks and a Toshiba this year all with perfect screens... I thought dead pixels is a rarity in this day and age even with lesser products...