Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndango

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Redmond, Wa
I am apparently cursed. I've gone through 3 iPads because of dead pixels. They finally gave me one that wasn't messed up the fourth time. Has anybody else had any dead pixels?

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Can someone post a picture of what a dead pixel looks like?

Is it something that most people don't notice, cuz three just sounds incredibly suspicious otherwise. How could your luck be that bad?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Yeah that just sounds like bad luck but then i have had no issues with my 32gig with dead pixels or wifi or anything else so maybe its just good luck on my part and not bad luck on yours :)

johndango

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Redmond, Wa
dead-pixel-4.jpg

The dot inside the mouse cursor is an example of a dead pixel. It's where one pixel will show nothing but the color black. I find that most people with average eyesight never even notice them. I have perfect vision though and so the dumb dead pixels are the only things I ever seem to notice.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
C'mon, what's one dead pixel :eek:

Having a/some dead pixels makes things really difficult to sell on, and reduces the resale price quite significantly.

Imagine. Two identical iPads on Ebay, same price, but one is listed with having a dead pixel...Which would you choose?

I would definitely take mine back to Apple for an exchange for even a single dead pixel.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Having a/some dead pixels makes things really difficult to sell on, and reduces the resale price quite significantly.

Imagine. Two identical iPads on Ebay, same price, but one is listed with having a dead pixel...Which would you choose?

I would definitely take mine back to Apple for an exchange for even a single dead pixel.

Do you REALLY think the Ebay seller is going to tell you it has a dead pixel???

Hey, johndango...can you post another picture that isn't zoomed in so that we can see what it looks like from 2 feet away--or the approximate distance one's head is from the screen. This dead pixel stuff and the obsession over them fascinates me. Oh, and don't put the pointer underneath it. Just take a "normal" picture of the iPad homescreem or summat. Thanks!

johndango

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Redmond, Wa

Hey, johndango...can you post another picture that isn't zoomed in so that we can see what it looks like from 2 feet away--or the approximate distance one's head is from the screen. This dead pixel stuff and the obsession over them fascinates me. Oh, and don't put the pointer underneath it. Just take a "normal" picture of the iPad homescreem or summat. Thanks!

I don't actually have any iPads with dead pixels. I returned them all. I also cant seem to find a good, non zoomed in example when I do an image search. My GUESS is that pictures wouldn't be high resolution enough for you to really notice anyway.

dead-pixel.gif

But imagine that you had a pixel in the middle of your screen that was always black and never moved. Everytime you scrolled on a website, the lack of movement would make it stand out. Any time your screen flashed all white in a movie or game, you'd see the one black spot.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about buying this:

dead_pixels.jpg

johndango

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Redmond, Wa
I've got amazing eyesight too so it just seems to stand out to me. My GF couldn't even notice it, but it was just tearing my eyes out.

It felt like this:

dead_pixel.jpg

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009

If I buy any viewing equipment second hand (doesn't matter where from, Eaby, forums, etc), I always ask 3 questions:

1. Any scratches on the screen (a definite No No)
2. Any scratches on the body (will reduce its value)
3. Any dead pixels (further reduce its value, but more likely another No No).

If I asked an Ebay seller if it had any dead pixels and they said no, and it did, that would be an instant return and refund (either direct from the seller, or via PayPal buyer protection).

So, yes, I would expect an Ebay seller to tell me about ANY flaws, and it would affect my purchasing decision.

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
If I buy any viewing equipment second hand (doesn't matter where from, Eaby, forums, etc), I always ask 3 questions:

If I asked an Ebay seller if it had any dead pixels and they said no, and it did, that would be an instant return and refund (either direct from the seller, or via PayPal buyer protection).

So, yes, I would expect an Ebay seller to tell me about ANY flaws, and it would affect my purchasing decision.

Please post your ebay ID so I know to never sell to you! I always email back and forth between buyers of my stuff and block aholes from bidding.

Undo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
I've never experienced a dead pixel, but I can only imagine it's the equivalent of a fly in your drink. You don't send it back simply because it's not supposed to be there, but because the proprietor needs to take responsibility and recognize the inferior quality of his service and be reminded of his obligation to his patrons. It's partly a matter of principle IMHO.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Please post your ebay ID so I know to never sell to you! I always email back and forth between buyers of my stuff and block aholes from bidding.

Right back at ya...I never buy from "aholes", as you yanks so eloquently put.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN

+1

I don't play that either

SocalMark

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Took my 16GB back to bestbuy had 3 dead pixels they didn't have any 16GB so I upgraded to the 64GB Perfect screen.

johndango

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Redmond, Wa
I've never experienced a dead pixel, but I can only imagine it's the equivalent of a fly in your drink. You don't send it back simply because it's not supposed to be there, but because the proprietor needs to take responsibility and recognize the inferior quality of his service and be reminded of his obligation to his patrons. It's partly a matter of principle IMHO.

Well said.

Took my 16GB back to bestbuy had 3 dead pixels they didn't have any 16GB so I upgraded to the 64GB Perfect screen.

So you paid them more money when you found out they gave you a defective product? :confused:

acron1

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
no dead pixels here...

32Gb model perfect screen... I must say I must be very lucky, I got 2 MacBooks and a Toshiba this year all with perfect screens... I thought dead pixels is a rarity in this day and age even with lesser products...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.